• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy Birthday BASIC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday BASIC

50 years old today.

10 PRINT "Happy 50th Birthday, BASIC" : GOTO 10
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Good, long piece in Time about the history of the language and those involved with it: Fifty Years of BASIC, the Language That Made Computers Personal - TIME

Comment

The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        I'm sorry. I don't understand that.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Well I never, it has kept me employed for more than half of its life.

Good going.

Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

First language I programmed in, second one as well as vic20 and speccy basic were a bit different. Even some years later I was writing programs to draw fractals in basic on the school pcs, which was back when msdos came with a basic interpreter.

50 years is a good innings for a programming language. People used to slag basic off but it tought me all the basic procedural programming concepts and much else fairly painlessly. I'd say it did it's job pretty well
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              60 years since the earliest beginnings of FORTRAN, though the first compiler (optimising, mark you) didn't appear until 1957.
              5th language I programmed in, and the only one someone ever tried to teach me. One of the joys of a maths degree....
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                60 years since the earliest beginnings of fortran, though the first compiler (optimising, mark you) didn't appear until 1957.
                Code:
                GO TO (who, gives, a, tulip), wherever

Comment

Working...
                X