• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm surprised we haven't had this yet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised we haven't had this yet

BBC News - Legal aid row leads to halting of serious fraud trial

Given that it's quite serious news. There are apparently another 8 fairly big trials that look like they are going the same way.

What do we think? Are barristers just being greedy or should we as fellow self determining professionals feel solidarity with them? Personally I go for the latter, a 30% rate cut is a pretty hefty **** you, I'd not put up with that myself.

And reading this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26635572

just makes it even more obvious the government really doesn't understand (or is willfully ignorant about) what the flexible independent working they claim to champion entails.
    Last edited by doodab; 2 May 2014, 07:59.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

The only kind of flexible working this shower are interested in is the kind that benefits their mates i.e. zero hours, minimum wage contracts.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

The question is how much do they really earn doing legal aid work? When they had their strike, there were some on the TV claiming it was less than minimum wage, and the government were saying many earned more than £100K. It's one of those stories where as a member of the public it's impossible to know where you stand as you don't have any way of knowing what the facts actually are.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        The question is how much do they really earn doing legal aid work? When they had their strike, there were some on the TV claiming it was less than minimum wage, and the government were saying many earned more than £100K. It's one of those stories where as a member of the public it's impossible to know where you stand as you don't have any way of knowing what the facts actually are.
        Well they may earn £100k but there is a large amount of deductions after that.

The government quoted the vat inclusive rate so £100k became £84k. They then give 20% to chambers so £84k becomes £67k and then have expenses on top.....

As a fairly lowly paid contractor (I could get more but go for entertainment and long term survival rather than cash) I earn more than that...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          I think they might bill £100k but the reality is that quite a bit of that is disbursments, expenses and VAT. I do know a qualified barrister and he does all right although he actually works as a political lobbyist, which might say something about what he could earn as a barrister.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The Criminal Bar Association (CBA) disputes the claim, saying barristers actually earn an average of £37,000 .

On Tuesday, Sir Andrew - who leads the body which monitors the integrity of official statistics - wrote to Legal Aid minister Shailesh Vara and courts saying the report did not specify how the government figure was reached.

He said the sum was "potentially misleading" as it was not made clear barristers would have to pay costs and tax out of this.

Using a different way of calculating the figures would have produced a lower average, he added.

"Information about items included or excluded from the estimates of fee income - for example, VAT and disbursements - is also presented in the notes but the report makes no attempt to quantify the impact of the treatment of these items.
            what was the VAT threshold again?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Although there are a tiny number of barristers earning huge sums, most earn very little given the amount of work they have to put in to achieving that position: I believe most are under the £50,000 mark.

And bear in mind that the government quotes gross figures. Even if a barrister "earns", say, £250,000 a year, that's not their take-home, nor even their gross salary. They'll be a member of a chambers, and have to contribute to the costs of running that business: premises, staff, other overheads. A barrister is essentially a partner in a business, and the fees they command are the income of that business, not their personal income.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                what was the VAT threshold again?
                It's billed by the chamber so is charged regardless of what the barrister bills.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  As a fairly lowly paid contractor (I could get more but go for entertainment and long term survival rather than cash) I earn more than that...
                  Exactly. £100k ex VAT billed by an IT contractor with minimal overheads is a lot more than £100k inc vat with a sizeable cost of doing business.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Although there are a tiny number of barristers earning huge sums, most earn very little given the amount of work they have to put in to achieving that position: I believe most are under the £50,000 mark.

And bear in mind that the government quotes gross figures. Even if a barrister "earns", say, £250,000 a year, that's not their take-home, nor even their gross salary: they'll be a member of a chambers, and have to contribute to the costs of running that business: premises, staff, other overheads. A barrister is essentially a partner in a business, and the fees they command are the income of that business, not their personal income.
                    And the tax deduction of expenses etc. has no effect?

My limited experience has been the fees they charge are quite exceptional even in basically straightforward cases. £500 for a morning in court.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X