• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old punched tape up to date

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old punched tape up to date

For all those oldsters!

Reading Paper Tapes From Scratch!

Feeling a little nostalgic? Dying to read some paper ticker tapes? You can do it manually, but that’d take forever! [NeXT] decided to make a little PCB to help him out.

Having searched for paper tape readers for years, and even getting halfway through building the mechanical portion of it in his high-school tech class, [NeXT] decided to take a serious stab at it — and by golly, it works!

The reason he finally decided to go down this route is because you just can’t buy them (well, for cheap), and even the DIY or hobby ones out there are notoriously slow — what better reason to design it from scratch?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Eh? This isn't a Zeity post?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Eh? This isn't a Zeity post?
      I bought a Franchise.

£50,000 and I get a Uniform, company rules, laminated signs and the rights to post obscure geeky stuff on here & Mumsnet!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        I bought a Franchise.

£50,000 and I get a Uniform, company rules, laminated signs and the rights to post obscure geeky stuff on here & Mumsnet!
        But do you get an IBM Flowcharting Template?

Comment

Modern youth, eh...

Time was I could read paper tape (and 80-column punch cards) directly, and manually correct them come to that. The trick was to remember that the 4/3 coding ignored the smaller registration holes which actually split the 4 set, not separated the two sets.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Nice

The PDP8/e at school had a high-speed optical punched tape reader, where IIRC "high-speed" meant 300 characters per second, as opposed to the 10 of the Teletype

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
              no but we have a company song entitled

'Gorn but not forgotten' !

And Fava bean stress toys.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Modern youth, eh...

Time was I could read paper tape (and 80-column punch cards) directly, and manually correct them come to that. The trick was to remember that the 4/3 coding ignored the smaller registration holes which actually split the 4 set, not separated the two sets.
                I sometimes think that the true measure of a contractor's longevity and adaptability is not their transferable skills but the number of skills they have acquired over the years that will never get used again. Being able to work something out, use it, and then forget about it, all reasonably quickly and without expecting endless training courses is a pretty solid USP I think.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                  Got one of those, a plastic thing with the triangles and squares etc (if that's what you mean)

and I think I even had to use it once many years ago at work
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Got one of those, a plastic thing with the triangles and squares etc (if that's what you mean)

and I think I even had to use it once many years ago at work
                    Still got one. And a pad of the 80x24 squared paper for screen design.

Comment

Working...
                    X