• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How come we don't celebrate Walpurgis Night in the UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come we don't celebrate Walpurgis Night in the UK?

It was named after an English missionary Saint Walpurga but seems to be celebrated practically everywhere in Europe besides England itself
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    It was named after an English missionary Saint Walpurga but seems to be celebrated practically everywhere in Europe besides England itself
    Because Beltane didn't need to be subsumed by the early Christian Church because it was already on the way out?

Most of northern Europe was still pagan in the 8th century and the pagan/witch celebrations were probably still pretty strong.

The earliest representation of Walpurga, in the early 11th-century Hitda Codex, made in Cologne, depicts her holding stylized stalks of grain. In other depictions the object has been called a palm branch, which is not correct, since Walpurga was not martyred. The grain attribute has been interpreted as an occasion where a Christian saint (Walpurga) came to represent the older pagan concept of the Grain Mother. Peasant farmers fashioned her replica in a corn dolly at harvest time and told tales to explain Saint Walpurga's presence in the grain sheaf.
    England was a bastion of Christianity in those days and a lot of early missionary saints were English.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Speak for youself, the coven I'm part of celebrate by holding a mass & killing a virgin.

BTW, has anyone seen AtW lately?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Most of northern Europe was still pagan in the 8th century and the pagan/witch celebrations were probably still pretty strong...
        I've been studying the social landscape during the reformation - most of Europe was pretty pagan then as well. The Catholic church and the reformers moaned about it quite a bit.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X