• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wot no terror thread?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wot no terror thread?

Given that eight Brit tourists have been hospitalised following a bomb blast in Turkey Im surprised that there is no outrage thread here, is it because it was The Kurds who did this and so thats OK?

Anyway I found the comments from Mr Betton of the British Travel Agants somewhat odd , he claimes that despite the explosions

I do not envisage that people will react negatively to this because, although no one likes this kind of thing, it has gone on fairly regularly."

All in a days work ?

Heres the story ...

Speaking before the Antalya explosion, Keith Betton, of the Association of British Travel Agents, said British tourists would be unlikely to be put off by the explosions. He said: "I do not envisage that people will react negatively to this because, although no one likes this kind of thing, it has gone on fairly regularly."

The Foreign Office does not advise Britons to avoid Turkey, but warns of "a high threat from terrorism".

Bomb attacks in Turkey

By Louise Jack

* 4 AUGUST 2006

Thirteen people injured in two bomb attacks in Adana, southern Turkey.

* 25 JUNE 2006

Four killed and 28 injured in an explosion in a tourist area near Antalya.

* 31 MARCH 2006

A bomb exploded near a bus stop in Istanbul, killing one person and injuring 13.

* 9 FEBRUARY 2006

One person killed and 16 injured in explosion in Bayrampasa, Istanbul.

* 18 NOVEMBER 2005

One killed and 11 injured in Beylikduzu, Istanbul.

* 6 JULY 2005

Five dead and 13 injured in a mini-bus blast in the Aegean resort of Kusadasi.

* 2 JULY 2005

A bomb planted on a train explodes between Elazig and Tatvan, killing six.

* 24 JUNE 2004

Four people killed in an explosion in Istanbul.

* 20 NOVEMBER 2003

Two explosions in Istanbul leave 32 people dead.

* 15 NOVEMBER 2003

Thirty people are killed and 146 wounded when car bombs hit two synagogues in Istanbul.

Wot no terror thread?
    Stop you're scaring me.

Comment

New avatar suggestion DP.

We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

DP prefers this -

but I prefer this:

Comment

To put your stats in perspective, around 7,000 people die each year in road traffic accidents in Turkey. That's two 9/11's each year. There are bus crashes on a regular basis : a couple of weeks ago 18 Iranians died in a bus crash. 12 Turks died in a bus crash in February. Four people including a Brit were killed in a bus crash on Sunday.

The Marmara earthquake of 1999 killed 17,000 people. Another hundred or so died in a quake in 2003

Bird flu has claimed a few lives as well.
          It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

You need to look at crashes that involve Western Tourists who are much much less likely to die in such, in fact so unlikely that each such case gets published on BBC. Given that terrorists target western tourists the danger is actually much higher than it may seem.

Comment

Exactly. Cancer kills millions so why should I be scared of a few thousand Muslims with Semtex?

Comment

muslims invented cancer. cunning fuzzy wuzzies
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Not quite sure if this is the point you are making but if you are seriously suggesting that we should treat terrorists with a local and defined goal with quite the same seriousness that we do a global Islamic terror threat that spans umpteen countries you are barking.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Oh Terror <sigh> - that's soooo last year!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X