• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1/3rd to be 'non white

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/3rd to be 'non white

Ethnic minorities 'will make up one third of the population by 2050' | Mail Online

Currently, eight million people, or 14 per cent of the UK population, are from ethnic minorities. But they now account for 80 per cent of population growth, while the white population remains constant.

Experts predict that as a result, by the middle of the century between 20 per cent and 30 per cent of the population – up to 16million people – will be from a minority community, the report says.

Ethnic minority communities predominantly live in three main cities, with 50 per cent living in London, Manchester and Birmingham alone. They are seven times more likely to live in an urban area than someone who is white.
    Oh well!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

What about white ethnic minorities?
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

The non white bit was LBC's take on it.

But they aren't including the Eastern Europeans or French in the report.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

At what point do they stop being minorities then?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          At what point do they stop being minorities then?
          You get three guesses.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

It's a shame there's no attention paid in this report to those of mixed background and the intermarriage factor, i.e. children of 'white' and 'ethnic minority' backgrounds, as those children will be termed 'ethnic minority' in the current way of counting; if they're counted as 'ethnic minority' then there's bound to be a large increase in ethnic minorities as people mingle and intermarry. If they're counted as 'white' then suddenly, hey presto, you have more 'white people'. Just like that!

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'm trying to work out how the white population is constant but accounts for 20% of the population growth.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                You get three guesses.
                When they bleach their skin and impersonate Alf Garnett?

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                  I'm trying to work out how the white population is constant but accounts for 20% of the population growth.

Comment

What's the definition of white?

In the UK we define our own ethnicity. If I want to say I'm Asian I can. My mother was born in India, so why not?

In the US, they have the 'one drop' rule - if you have any black ancestry, you're black. Which means large numbers of white Americans (including some pretty racist ones) are technically black 'cause great grandpappy couldn't keep his pants on round the slave girls.

Comment

Working...
                    X