• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edinburgh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edinburgh

I need to rent a flat for the duration of my contract up here. Any tips as to where to look and (more importantly) where to avoid.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Where's your workplace? I rented a private place and also a managed apartment thru StayCity, both in Haymarket which was fine, but I needed to be near a rail station cos the gig was in South Gyle. I can give you the name of my landlady by PM.

There aren't many bad areas in Edinburgh that I'm aware of, avoid Dalry and the area around DumbyDykes road.

The Old Town is touristy and pricey, New Town is slightly cheaper but still a bit pricey (but not as nuts as London). Leith has some dodgy bits and is a bus ride out from the centre, but the Shore area is very nice and has some good hotels and flats and a nightlife to rival the Old Town. at least if you're over 30 ...

The main challenge is length of tenancy, 90% of lets are for a 6 month minimum which may not suit ... there are a couple of agencies that have some shorter term places, Edlets and Factotum spring to mind. I had a bad experience with D J Alexander, but wouldn't want to condemn them on a single cockup....

And if you're likely to be there in August, try and get something sorted in advance of the Festival, flats become rarer than hen's teeth and rents quadruple ....
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Flats to rent in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast and more with Citylets for > 6 months

£178 PCM

< 6 months use airbnb. You could book week from week and meet a nice Scottish lass. Actually in Edinburgh she'll probably be English.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X