• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Seinfeld Method

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Seinfeld Method

I'm sure we've had this posted before.

Jerry Seinfeld's Productivity Secret

I don't normally go in for these sort of lifestyle tips but recently I have applied this (the principle, I don't have a massive calendar) to my study, such as it is, of maths and physics. I do a bit every day, even if it's just 15 minutes learning how to typeset a particular formula in Mathematica, and I have covered loads of stuff that up till now has waited years for me to "find the time". I've covered more actual maths and physics with equations (as opposed to reading pop-sci books) in 3 months as I have in the last 10 or 15 years.

Admittedly I do have the time now, but it's still easy to fritter it away. I realise now that is what I've was doing for the last 15 years.

Carpe diem people!
    Last edited by doodab; 7 May 2014, 06:59.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

I need a focus to get stuff done. Finished OU last year which took out 16 hours a week, and have done bugger all that's productive with my extra time. Bought several books on topics I'm interested in, but not got much beyond the first chapter in any of them.

Same with exercise - if I don't have an event to train for, I can't find the motivation to do it.

Perhaps I should give it a try.

Comment

You could instead go with the philosophy of Dunbar in Catch 22: make every moment as boring as possible so it drags on - even if life is short, it will seem like an eternity...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        You could instead go with the philosophy of Dunbar in Catch 22: make every moment as boring as possible so it drags on - even if life is short, it will seem like an eternity...
        I always liked this quote:

Originally posted by Seneca
        Life is long if you know how to use it
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Time does not afford you.

You need to make it.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X