• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobs go in IR35 compliance at the Revenue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobs go in IR35 compliance at the Revenue

Would have posted this on the IR35 is dead thread, but just couldn't bear to intervene with an on-topic post when things had gotten so interesting....

This published in Private Eye last week (page 26):

"An internal HMRC document seen by the Eye reveals that 2,150 jobs are to be cut...
    ...The largest single reduction (409 jobs) will be made in checking that employers meet their tax obligations, including "IR35 work [the contentious rule that deems many contractors to be employees]""

Just reading it brought a tear to my eye, thinking of all those PAYE compliance officers who would be hanging up their thumbscrews and meathooks and looking for work that actually contributes to the economy.

I'm thinking of starting a charitable fund to put them to some useful purpose. Any suggestions?
    Plan A is located just about here.
    If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Hopefully the losers that are investigating me will fuk off too ! that should save me 100k !

Comment

Does anyone know what percentage that is though? Unless its really high, it doesn't mean a lot. I know people who have been investigated, so it still makes me edgy.

Comment

When they investigate you they make up a figure and you spend thousands contesting it !

Comment

Would I be right in saying you take a small sallary?
          I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

who are you aiming that at ?

Comment

Originally posted by dmini
              Does anyone know what percentage that is though? Unless its really high, it doesn't mean a lot. I know people who have been investigated, so it still makes me edgy.
              Don't know the percentage - but the way these things tend to work is that, once they've decided to change their policy, they tend to cut back the number of new cases that they pursue to a v. low number (almost, but not quite, zero).

Doesn't help you if you are currently under investigation, though. I would expect that they will continue to pursue those cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                Would I be right in saying you take a small sallary?
                Is that a small salary in your tax return or are you just pleased to see me?

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
                  who are you aiming that at ?
                  You that is being investigated.
                  I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

erm, well this dates back to 2001-2003 and I paid myself £150 per week.

Comment

Working...
                    X