• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Its Turner Prize time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its Turner Prize time

For the Haiters :

Turner prize 2014 shortlist unveiled | Art and design | theguardian.com

For the pictures :

Turner Prize nominations announced (and no traditional artists are shortlisted) | Mail Online

as usual not a decent portrait or conventional art amongst them.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Turner wasn't a conventional artist in his time.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Turner wasn't a conventional artist in his time.
      Not sure he would have been impressed by unmade beds.

J. M. W. Turner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He seems to have experimented with style & paint not poo.

Comment

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

This is though.

The clever twist is that technically it's a mug.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Arguably purely figurative art is a bit pointless since they invented cameras but I would hope for summit a bit more creativity than the junk we get so often.

Any artists on here? We could have a CUK art contest.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Arguably purely figurative art is a bit pointless since they invented cameras but I would hope for summit a bit more creativity than the junk we get so often.

Any artists on here? We could have a CUK art contest.
            We did that.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...dyw-prize.html

Maybe time for round 2?

Comment

He seems to have experimented with style & paint not poo
              Many years ago I went to a Gilbert and George exhibition in Edinburgh. Was most impressed by their "Spunk on tulip." creations. Not. Although they also do some good stuff if you don't mind a couple of weird old blokes in every picture.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Yes, so would I, although you can view some of it as experimental; a sort of research into aesthetics and what can and can't be expressed with visual representations. The stuff in the article is beyond me too, but I do like a lot of modern paintings and some sculpture and I guess art needs constant experimentation to progress. A bit like music; I find so-called modern classical music and especially twelve tone music very hard on the ear and I don't really enjoy it when the Dutch Radio 4 has its loony hour (my name for it) on some evenings as I drive home; happily I can then switch over to the CD player and enjoy Bach. Or the Mavericks or something else, depending on my mood, but maybe some musicians use the strange music they´ve heard as inspiration for something more accessible.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

well I just righted a wrong and liked a Mich post that made me laugh last time. Hint - encapsulate.

Comment

Decomposition is the postscript to the death of a human body; disintegration is the preface to the death of a human mind. Disintegration is the keynote and goal of modern art—the disintegration of man’s conceptual faculty, and the retrogression of an adult mind to the state of a mewling infant.

To reduce man’s consciousness to the level of sensations, with no capacity to integrate them, is the intention behind the reducing of language to grunts, of literature to “moods,” of painting to smears, of sculpture to slabs, of music to noise.

But there is a philosophically and psychopathologically instructive element in the spectacle of that gutter...

... It is highly doubtful that the practitioners and admirers of modern art have the intellectual capacity to understand its philosophical meaning; all they need to do is indulge the worst of their subconscious premises. But their leaders do understand the issue consciously: the father of modern art is Immanuel Kant (see his Critique of Judgment).

I do not know which is worse: to practice modern art as a colossal fraud or to do it sincerely.

I'm with Ayn Rand, as far as the modern 'art' goes.

Comment

Working...
                    X