PDA

View Full Version : Jumping ship from the world of permanence

PerfectStorm
7th May 2014, 13:39
Hi forum. Another newbie here - jumping ship from the world of permanent jobs after being made redundant and looking to try something new - well, let's be honest - seeing if I can earn a bit more money while there's change in the air.

Been having a good read recently and picked up a lot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained - here goes!

Clare@InTouch
7th May 2014, 14:46
Best of luck, and welcome :)

vwdan
7th May 2014, 18:30
Good luck - I did the same thing in March. I spent months reading and thinking, but so far it's working out to be one of the best moves I've ever made. To be honest, even if I went permie again in July*, it would have been worth it to pay off the credit card :)

*Not happening if I can help it!

PerfectStorm
7th May 2014, 19:43
Good luck - I did the same thing in March. I spent months reading and thinking, but so far it's working out to be one of the best moves I've ever made. To be honest, even if I went permie again in July*, it would have been worth it to pay off the credit card :)

*Not happening if I can help it!

Thanks. I have two conflicting schools of thought at the moment... the risk manager in me is shit scared that for some reason I won't know what to do when I start the job and/or will fail badly in some way.

The realist in me thinks back to all those other times doing perm work that I seemed to eventually be able to cope with any problem that came my way and wondered how some very thick people ended up being my peers :p

Wondering which of these two outcomes will be the real one... is there an expectation that when you're on a day rate you're infallible?

aoxomoxoa
8th May 2014, 10:30
is there an expectation that when you're on a day rate you're infallible?

There's an expectation that you'll hit the ground running, and be solidly capable of doing what the role requires.

PerfectStorm
8th May 2014, 15:28
There's an expectation that you'll hit the ground running, and be solidly capable of doing what the role requires.

Should I quit then? Or are you the guy who writes all the role descriptions I see online :D

captainham
9th May 2014, 08:38

Whilst this was always my expectation of what a contractor should be (back in my permie days), the reality was often quite the opposite and was one of the key reasons why I decided to give up permiedom.

Running a team of several contractors as a much lower-paid permie and having do a lot of their work for them, does get very annoying before too long.