• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More Pretty Science Pictures

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Pretty Science Pictures

BBC News - Universe evolution recreated in lab

Awesome new computer simulation of the evolution of the universe. 3 months on a supercomputer to get the results....

Not much to add to that really.

I am tempted to subscribe to nature, £135. It seems to have got a lot cheaper.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

The computer that ran the simulation revealed some disturbing truths...

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'll admit that I'm not a very science person but some of this is quite fascinating. I've been at launches of satellites numerous times and seen the first images that they transmitted back (ERS-1 and Meteosat) but for me the best and most interesting was being at ESTEC (*) one year. I was up there to look after a rather esoteric OS: AIX/370 but it also happened to be when the Hubble Space Telescope transmitted it's first images. We all sat in the canteen and it went all quiet as the image started to appear followed by cheers, quite exhilarating...

(* a very interesting place to go if you get the chance. I wanted a go in the gravity chamber but that was out of the question so settled on the 9 hole golf course instead...)
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        The computer that ran the simulation revealed some disturbing truths...

I think you'll find GRAPES are better for this sort of thing.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The symmetry between the two images is striking. Consider, only hundreds of years ago we were running around the African savannah with spears. And now today our understanding of nature allows us to simulate events long since past. The scope of which seems impossible to consider.

Fascinating we can produce this yet we don't know why humans have fewer genes than a cabbage. Or for that matter how they build us, if at all.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Fascinating we can produce this yet we don't know why humans have fewer genes than a cabbage. Or for that matter how they build us, if at all.
            We are working it out though.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              BBC News - Universe evolution recreated in lab

Awesome new computer simulation of the evolution of the universe. 3 months on a supercomputer to get the results....

Not much to add to that really.

I am tempted to subscribe to nature, £135. It seems to have got a lot cheaper.
              er, sorry to sound thick, but where is the actual animated simulation?

When I click the link (at clientco, whose servers are routed via Albania or somewhere) all I see is an interview with Kim Dotcom, and large though he is I don't think he played any significant role in the formation of the Universe.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
              X