• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

Following on from the thread about the billionaire giving £5m to the Natural History Museum. What good works would you do if you were a billionaire with the inclination to set up a charitable trust?

I think I'd bung some money to the hospital that's treating me (they could use a new wing and a bigger Oncology ward), and I think the science museum could use some technological modernisation especially around CNC machine tools, composites, aerospace and space and so on, a lot of it is stuck in the 70s, and I'd set up a scholarship for a couple of less well off kids to study Maths at my Alma Mater. I might consider buying them a supercomputer as well, or otherwise donating to the maths computing lab. I used to spend a lot of time in there.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Build amazing local play-parks for children with natural materials. You'd be surprised how the money disappears.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Build amazing local play-parks for children with natural materials. You'd be surprised how the money disappears.
      I think the secret is to invest the capital and only spend the interest, minus a bit that you keep so the capital grows in line with inflation. Hence the charitable trust.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I expect I'd gift my church money to pay off their mortgage and have a big pot left over to disperse as they saw fit and after that I don't know. If you've billions it's hard to spend - £5m isn't actually a big gift! But then you'd find so many good causes eager for help it could all be gone!

Better to spread it out and see no obvious benefit but know many many individuals are touched by it, or leave some tangible legacy like the d000hg School For Cretins?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

and for a laugh

I'd buy townhouses in Knightsbridge & Chelsea to be made available for homeless people.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Being the founder of an institution like the Smithsonian would be awesome.

Smithsonian Institution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              Being the founder of an institution like the Smithsonian would be awesome.

Smithsonian Institution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Wouldn' t it. Amazing how these things snowball too, like the Gates foundation.

Must get richer....

Comment

I'd buy a mountain.

BBC News - Blencathra sale: Who owns Britain's mountains?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  There may be one for sale here: BBC News - Lake District mountain sale: Earl 'didn't want to evict tenants'
                  ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                    Same one I think

Comment

Working...
                    X