• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JSA for contractors - money in Ltd account.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JSA for contractors - money in Ltd account.

Certain posters who will remain nameless for now seem to lay themselves off between contracts and claim JSA. We may have our own views on this, but we are assured it is all legal and above and that the contractors are entirely open with Dole Office staff.

I am wondering: do these contractors show the Dole Office staff how much money is in the Ltd account?

I'm not intending to do this myself, but am simply curious.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Certain posters who will remain nameless for now seem to lay themselves off between contracts and claim JSA. We may have our own views on this, but we are assured it is all legal and above and that the contractors are entirely open with Dole Office staff.

I am wondering: do these contractors show the Dole Office staff how much money is in the Ltd account?

I'm not intending to do this myself, but am simply curious.
    Perhaps you shouldn't classify those who claim JSA as contractors - rather just disguised employees....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      Perhaps you shouldn't classify those who claim JSA as contractors - rather just disguised muppets....
      ftfy
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

For contribution based, you don't need to. For income based (which I tried to claim last year), they wanted company accounts, profit and loss, etc. So much of a PITA that I didn't bother in the end (and they gave me contribution based JSA for reasons I don't understand).
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          Perhaps you shouldn't classify those who claim JSA as contractors - rather just disguised employees....
          They're employees of their Ltd, but we tend to call them contractors. I do, however, appreciate the jibe.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            For contribution based, you don't need to. For income based (which I tried to claim last year), they wanted company accounts, profit and loss, etc. So much of a PITA that I didn't bother in the end (and they gave me contribution based JSA for reasons I don't understand).
            Thanks VM. I was asking because a poster in another thread stated:

Please dont [sic] make out its [sic] anything shady or illegal. As I point out every time, Im [sic] totally upfront and honest about things. I've had this conversation with loads of people at JSA and its [sic] allowed and, in their eyes, perfectly fair.
            I am just wondering if 'totally upfront and honest' includes showing Ltd company bank statements, although I now understand from what you say that there is formally no need to do so.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
              Thanks VM. I was asking because a poster in another thread stated:

I am just wondering if 'totally upfront and honest' includes showing Ltd company bank statements, although I now understand from what you say that there is formally no need to do so.
              Just because the little ole lady on the dole office says its fair doesn't mean HMRC won't use it as a stick to beat them with later.. well there's hoping anyway..

Comment

My understanding was that contribution based JSA (for 6 months) wasn't dependent on how much money you had. Could be wrong though!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  My understanding was that contribution based JSA (for 6 months) wasn't dependent on how much money you had. Could be wrong though!
                  I don't actually know anything about JSA and I hope to God I never have to find out about it....

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    I don't have a problem with unemployed people with money claiming contribution based JSA. I find it perverse that a company director, who takes a tax advantage as a business rather than as a disguised employee, can have spare money in the Ltd and claim to be unemployed / laid off. It seems to me that if you want the advantages of being in business, you should pay your salary between contracts (if you have that money). But I accept it may be legal.

I am interested whether being upfront and honest includes advising the Dole Office how much money and spare money (after tax obligations are met) is in the Ltd account.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Working...
                    X