• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the best / worst gig you've had?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best / worst gig you've had?

My best one has to be the one I'm in now. No, really
    Working in the nuclear industry in a busy project-engineering environment staffed completely by contractors all with a positive, forward thinking mentality. Great place.

Worst one was a government agency. Not all civil servants are dribbling mouth-breathers with a chip on each shoulder but this place had more than its fair share. The majority of permies had a massive downer on contractors that at times got nasty. Add to this the general privations that go along with govt budgets and very soon "Smile and think of the invoice" isn't enough. Glad to see the back of the place.

Best: difficult, I've had a few good ones, like this one (except for bloody HP QC)

Worst: an investment bank. Boring subject matter and full of arseholes.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Best: This one

Worst: central government project via IBM. Hated the people, the client, the work and the location. Although they were genuinely surprised when I turned down the six month extension.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I evaluate gigs by a formula using daily rate, interest, stress levels, travel and hours worked per day. They tend to even out if all factors are taken into consideration.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          I evaluate gigs by a formula using daily rate, interest, stress levels, travel and hours worked per day. They tend to even out if all factors are taken into consideration.
          Ah yes, the advanced version of the ubiquitous tulip/dosh formula.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
            My best one has to be the one I'm in now.
            Me too. 100% WFH, part time, pretty much left to my own devices and I get to offer strategic input into what's going on, a fair bit of which is listened to. Good rate too.

Worst has to be the absolute death march I was on immediately before. I declined the renewal.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Ah yes, the advanced version of the ubiquitous tulip/dosh formula.
              There are some variables that I completely ignore, such as whether it will look good on my CV. Does anyone GAS about that?
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

I think the best one was the first one which was in my mum's front room. We moved the telly and most of the furniture out, stuck the drums in the corner by the alcove and our little amps around them. In front of the drums we had my mate's disco lights which were actually just coloured bulbs that flashed on and off. Apparently our best number was called 'Noise' where everyone in the band just played what they liked.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Me too. 100% WFH, part time, pretty much left to my own devices and I get to offer strategic input into what's going on, a fair bit of which is listened to. Good rate too.

Worst has to be the absolute death march I was on immediately before. I declined the renewal.
                  I am currently WFH 4 to 5 days per week, and am really getting into it. Bar / coffee shop with WiFi in the morning. Occasional cycle ride or lunch with the missus at lunch-time. Do the odd drop off and pick up at school.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Best gigs are the ones where you are treated with the most respect and valued for your knowledge/skills as well as having some interesting work to do. I'd have to say current gig + my first gig at Radbroke is where I have found that to be the case. First time at Radbroke another contractor got terminated with his work being passed on to me, current gig I am last contractor still working on the solution.

Worst gig by a country mile was with a media company in wythenshawe. Never imagined such treatment was possible and was very happy the minute I left the place (last place to hand my notice at FYI!).

Comment

Working...
                    X