• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Knowledge of 'payments'?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knowledge of 'payments'?

Hi All,

Just seen the following job:

"A market leading financial services organisation is looking for an experienced Senior Project Manager with extensive Payments knowledge. The Project Manager will be responsible for end to end delivery and will work on projects across the business. This exciting role will be within a large and innovative Mobile Payments Programme"

Any ideas on what 'payments' knowledge consists of? For example would a global systems integration with Worldpay / Braintree API be considered 'Payments knowledge' or are they looking for something else?

Thanks,
    Untouchable1

Could be.....or could not - why not ask the Agent?
    May well be along the lines of payment methods in general, too, such as CHAPS, BACS yada yada yada...
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
      Hi All,

Just seen the following job:

"A market leading financial services organisation is looking for an experienced Senior Project Manager with extensive Payments knowledge. The Project Manager will be responsible for end to end delivery and will work on projects across the business. This exciting role will be within a large and innovative Mobile Payments Programme"

Any ideas on what 'payments' knowledge consists of? For example would a global systems integration with Worldpay / Braintree API be considered 'Payments knowledge' or are they looking for something else?

Thanks,
      Untouchable1
      I just rang them up. They said that the skills you mentioned sound interesting and they asked for you to give them a call so that you could both discuss it further.

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
        I just rang them up. They said that the skills you mentioned sound interesting and they asked for you to give them a call so that you could both discuss it further.
        When I rang them, they told me I was perfect, but I needed to tell them my current daily rate and give them five references.

Looks like I'll be quids in, though, as I'm a perfect match.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

This is Lloyds, who have been advertising for aeons for people who have 'payments' knowledge. They previously had one of the Indian factory outfits trying to sell them consultants but apparently they couldn't get hold of anyone either.

Comment

I rang them and said I didn't know anything about payments, but still was happy to give it a shot.......they were fine with this and asked me for references from at least 5 people from each of my last 10 places worked, which I naturally was happy to help with. Then they checked I was OK about the £100/day rate, and that I would be working directly under the control of a manager who would expect me to pitch in with whatever else came along.

All good to me
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
              I rang them and said I didn't know anything about payments, but still was happy to give it a shot.......they were fine with this and asked me for references from at least 5 people from each of my last 10 places worked, which I naturally was happy to help with. Then they checked I was OK about the £100/day rate, and that I would be working directly under the control of a manager who would expect me to pitch in with whatever else came along.

All good to me

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post

All good to me
                They told me to make a CHAPS payment to them of £200 and then explain exactly how it worked.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Could mean shopper --> payment provider --> acquirer --> payment provider --> merchant mechanism etc, some double entry bookkeeping etc etc?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    Could mean shopper --> payment provider --> acquirer --> payment provider --> merchant mechanism etc, some double entry bookkeeping etc etc?
                    The five references and the £100 day rate was bad, but demanding 'double entry' too ? That's just too much !! (Unless they up the day rate !)
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X