• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Moog Synthesiser is 50 years old

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Moog Synthesiser is 50 years old

Apparently it's 50 years this week since Robert Moog demonstrated his synthesizer at an exhibition.

Various examples featuring on R6 at the mo'
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Mmmmm. Moogy.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Walter Carlos was an early adopter.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Phhhwoooooar!

Just look at the knobs on that.
        Build one Zeity! Got to be better than those silly line-following machines?

Comment

I have to say having played briefly with an older moog and spent a few hours on the modern Voyager I prefer the new ones. They are lovely. Nearly £3k for something that only plays one note at once though.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Rather before he became Wendy.
            I thought that was his wife. Didn't she sing "I want to marry a lighthouse keeper"?

Damn, i've got to look it up now.

edit: no it wasn't

Comment

Rather before he became Wendy.
              Ah, I never knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

Mmmmm. Moogy.
                I would love to have that in my studio especially now that I'm starting to get my head around Ableton.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
                  I would love to have that in my studio especially now that I'm starting to get my head around Ableton.
                  I have various soft modulars (scope DSP powered one, NI reaktor, Karma FX) and when I can be bothered to use them these days I usually patch a fairly standard 2 or 3 oscillators into a filter with envelopes, LFO and step sequencers for modulation. NI Massive or my Virus can do pretty much the same thing (I use the step sequencer in my drum machine to sequence it) and they are a lot easier to use.

Having said that I've had a go on / demo of a Cwejman S1 and some Doepfer gear in a shop and they both sounded pretty amazing. It's a lot of money for something that only plays one note at a time though, I doubt the rest of my studio is worth that much in total.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Nearly £3k for something that only plays one note at once though.
                    Lots of instruments only play one note at once. A friend of mine spends more than that on Saxophones.

Anyone have the Moog album from the 70s (maybe there was more than one?). I can remember Proud Mary, Raindrops keep falling on my Head, but a bit hazy on the other tracks.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X