• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job fell through as Agency not on Clients PSL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job fell through as Agency not on Clients PSL

An Agency put me forward for a long term contract role with their Client. The Client thought I was a very good fit and a day rate was agreed. Everything was looking sweet.

However, when the role was processed through to the Client's HR they blocked it as my Agency was not on their Preferred Supplier List.

The Agency won't give the Client permission to deal with me direct, they were wanting some sort of deal to be done. Therefore, the Client is going back out to market to find an alternative candidate that isn't me.

I can see that their are ethical issues going on here, but at the end of the day I feel I've lost out big time.

Is there any way to recover this situation?

Sorry for the delay in approving this one. Have pushed to business / contracts forum as you will get sensible answers in here Bumping too to push to the top of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by PonyBoy View Post
      An Agency put me forward for a long term contract role with their Client. The Client thought I was a very good fit and a day rate was agreed. Everything was looking sweet.

However, when the role was processed through to the Client's HR they blocked it as my Agency was not on their Preferred Supplier List.

The Agency won't give the Client permission to deal with me direct, they were wanting some sort of deal to be done. Therefore, the Client is going back out to market to find an alternative candidate that isn't me.

I can see that their are ethical issues going on here, but at the end of the day I feel I've lost out big time.

Is there any way to recover this situation?
      I have been in this position. It is tough and may not be resolvable, but it may be (I resolved it).

Talk to the client and say you want to work with them and is there a problem with you going via a PSL agency? There is no contractual bind for you. There may be for the client and the client may be prepared to ignore it, but may not want the hassle and potential liability.

Don't talk to the original agent. You have no contractual relationship with them.

IANAL etc.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        I have been in this position. It is tough and may not be resolvable, but it may be (I resolved it).

Talk to the client and say you want to work with them and is there a problem with you going via a PSL agency? There is no contractual bind for you. There may be for the client and the client may be prepared to ignore it, but may not want the hassle and potential liability.

Don't talk to the original agent. You have no contractual relationship with them.

IANAL etc.
        Agree, try and deal direct with the client. The client may not want the hassle of the agency pursuing them for a cut but one could argue that since they were not on the PSL there was never a chance of them filling that role, ergo no financial loss = no compensation. One does wonder how it got this far though

Comment

Unfortunately this happens. PM made a mistake of going through a non-approved agency. The agency now demands compensation, HR not interested and told PM to recruit again.

Nothing you can do here. It's up to HR to make an exception.

I would just move on.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Unfortunately this happens. PM made a mistake of going through a non-approved agency. The agency now demands compensation, HR not interested and told PM to recruit again.

Nothing you can do here. It's up to HR to make an exception.

I would just move on.
            That is probably the outcome. But worth a go with the PSL first IMO.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Ask who is on the PSL. Get the agency you have been dealing with to do a deal with the agency that is on the PSL, so that you can get to work.

That leaves either you > agency > PSL agency > client with two people taking a cut, or you > PSL agency (who pay something to original agency to buy them out of the loop) > client

I've seen the first scenario a number of times where smaller agencies get the decent people, but can't get them on-site because they aren't on the PSL.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Ask who is on the PSL. Get the agency you have been dealing with to do a deal with the agency that is on the PSL, so that you can get to work.

That leaves either you > agency > PSL agency > client with two people taking a cut, or you > PSL agency (who pay something to original agency to buy them out of the loop) > client

I've seen the first scenario a number of times where smaller agencies get the decent people, but can't get them on-site because they aren't on the PSL.
                Agreed. I once contracted at Barclays through a Hays/Spring combo. The day rate has to be spread out a little more though, so be prepared to stand your ground.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

The Agency did propose to the client to do a 50:50 split with any Agency on their PSL but this was all too difficult for the Client and they would just rather walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by PonyBoy View Post
                    The Agency did propose to the client to do a 50:50 split with any Agency on their PSL but this was all too difficult for the Client and they would just rather walk away.
                    So a lose(you), lose(client), lose(pimp) situation then, I would have a go at the agency about wasting your time putting you forward for a role they didn't actually have the authority to fill, won't change things but it might make you feel better

Also you may as well name and shame them on here as well

Comment

Working...
                    X