• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being messed up by agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being messed up by agents

A few weeks ago a rogue agent (let's call them Agency A) contacted me about a new contract role. We had a vague discussion about it and then I got another call from him saying that he had sent my CV to the client - without my permission that is. Last week he phoned me again and finally provided more information on the role and the project. Later the same day two other agencies (let's call them Agency B and Agency C) phoned me about the same role. According to both of them they are the only one working on the role. I told both that I have already been approached about the same opportunity by a third agency. They were surprised.

Now one of the agencies, Agency C, has contacted me telling that they are the only one working on the role and that the other agency is very unprofessional and unreliable and that they have sold my CV to the client although they do not have terms in place with the client. Apparently they have spoken to the manager, who has said that he would only consider me if I went through them. I have worked with Agency C in the past and they are very professional and have a good reputation.

I have given Agency A a permission on email to represent me for the role, but I left the word "exclusively" out. Their written communication is very poor and they do seem to operate in a very unprofessional way, but they were the first who contacted me about the role. At the moment I am waiting to hear about interview time slots.

Agency C have already sent a few profiles to the client, so even though they are now telling me to go through them I might not be their prime candidate. Perhaps they want me to go through them to avoid any competition.

I am keen to get this role, however I do not want to jeopardise my relationship with Agency C, as they are very good and I want to work with them in the future as well. Not so sure about Agency A though.

Any advice on what to do?

Let yourself be submitted by agency C provided they check first if you are represented there already or not.

Next time you speak to the first agency say they can represent you for the role provided your CV is submitted.

Comment

Contact client co on Linkedin and let them know 3 different agencies are complicating what should be a simple process - go direct.

Comment

Agency C has already asked the client who has confirmed that they have received my CV. Apparently the client has also said that they would only consider me if I went through Agency C, not the other rogue agency. Agency C could also be telling porkies.

Apparently there are several role and I have seen different role descriptions, so yes, I could let Agency A represent me for one particular role and Agency C for another.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Let yourself be submitted by agency C provided they check first if you are represented there already or not.

Next time you speak to the first agency say they can represent you for the role provided your CV is submitted.
          +1

In the unlikely event that you end up there with different agencies, let them argue over who gets the money.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Don't see a problem here. I agree with the above though get Agency C to check first. The problem is whether the client minds you being submitted twice.

I would be a bit wary about "good guys, bad guys", it really depends on the individual. Agency C will just be giving "their view".

If you haven't heard anything back from Agency A, nothing to lose though.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Casall View Post
              Agency C has already asked the client who has confirmed that they have received my CV. Apparently the client has also said that they would only consider me if I went through Agency C, not the other rogue agency. Agency C could also be telling porkies.
              Agency C are certainly telling porkies : they are an agency, no ?
              1. Agency C have found out from the client that you are being interviewed.
              2. They want to get their candidates in, not have you take one of the roles through another agency.
              3. So they are queering the pitch with the client by selling you the dummy that the client wants you to go through agency C.
              4. When you are dumb enough (note: I said "when", not "if") to email Agency C saying you want them to represent you then Agency C will have achieved their goal.
              5. They will then copy your email to the client who will drop you like hot potato rather than have two agencies wrangling over who is representing you.

Originally posted by Casall View Post
              Apparently there are several role and I have seen different role descriptions, so yes, I could let Agency A represent me for one particular role and Agency C for another.
              Your chances for any role with that client will terminate at the exact moment you let Agency C represent you. Why not phone the client and find out what is actually going on there, ffs ?

Boo

Comment

I had this last contract... Agency A called and claimed exclusivity, agent b called next day and did the same, when I told them about agent a they claimed they were scammers so I said to both prove it. Only Agent B sent a copy of the client email appointing them as sole agent so they got the job! Never heard from scammer a again

Comment

OP:

Shouldn't this be titles "being messed around by the agents" as being messed up usually implies some kind of physical/mental abuse being directed towards you....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    OP:

Shouldn't this be titles "being messed around by the agents" as being messed up usually implies some kind of physical/mental abuse being directed towards you....
                    Maybe there is some of that as well? Perhaps there was fisticuffs.....or maybe therapy is imminent, and this thread is the precursor to a damages claim
                    Last edited by kevpuk; 14 May 2014, 10:09.
                    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Working...
                    X