• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ECHR again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECHR again...

Court : UK seizure of worker

Human rights judges today declared that the United Kingdom authorities were wrong to seize the wages of an Ivorian worker who used a false passport to gain employment.

The European Court of Human Rights ruled that the UK courts should have balanced individual property rights against interests of the general public, when taking action against Didier Pierre Paulet.

In today’s Chamber judgment in the case of Paulet v. the United Kingdom (application no. 6219/08), which is not final, the court held, by five votes to two, that the United Kingdom was to pay Paulet 2,000 euros (EUR) in respect of non-pecuniary damage and EUR 10,000 to cover the costs and expenses of Paulet’s lawyer.

The award followed the European Court of Human Rights ruling, by six votes to one, that there had been a violation of Article 1 of Protocol No. 1 (protection of property) of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Paulet complained that the confiscation order against him had been disproportionate as it amounted to the confiscation of his entire savings over nearly four years of genuine work, without any distinction being made between his case and those involving more serious criminal offences such as drug trafficking or organised crime.

The court found that the UK courts’ scope of review of Paulet’s case had been too narrow. Notably, they had simply found that the confiscation order against Paulet had been in the public interest, without balancing that conclusion against his right to peaceful enjoyment of his possessions as required under the European Convention.

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Good.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

That seems OK to me. You can't take his life savings unless you're fining him instead of kicking him out.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Aren't we suppose to disagree and blame the EU?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Aren't we suppose to disagree and blame the EU?
          Vote UKIN?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Vote...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

No Monster Raving Loony candidates in my area.

Though I was sadly looking at the voting records of the MEPs in my area here

All the parties have over 90% except UKIP So I know who I'm not voting for.

Now have to work out who to vote for the local elections........
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Here, the worst record is the UKIP candidate. The best is Nick Griffin. Conservatives vote less than the Labour MEPs who vote less than the Lib Dem MEP.

Choice between Lib Dem and Labour - no other candidates here.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Have to agree with the ECHR too on this rare occasion. Fines or seizing profits from crime are ok, not sure it's reasonable to take all his savings. Him being here illegally should not necessarily makes all his earnings illegal.

PS Wish MRL were standing. Random legislation based on chance and whatever is silliest might deliver better laws than we get from the dogma driven main parties.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

No Monster Raving Loony candidates in my area.

Though I was sadly looking at the voting records of the MEPs in my area here

No, UKIP do vote, just look...UKIP MEPs Nigel Farage, John Agnew, Marta Andreasen, Gerard Batten, John Bufton, Derek Clark, William Legge and Paul Nuttall all voted for:

“Motion for resolution, para 4:

Considers that following the entry into force of the TFEU, which strengthens EU policies and creates new fields of competence — notably Common Foreign and Security Policy, competitiveness and innovation, energy policy, space, tourism, the fight against climate change, sport and youth, social policy, energy policy, justice and home affairs — the European Union should be endowed with the necessary financial means to attain its objectives and therefore requires both branches of the budgetary authority to be coherent and consistent as regards increased financial capacities.”
                    which was a motion in favour of authorising increased EU power and taxation. See they do like the EU
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X