PDA

View Full Version : Do young people not read long emails any more?

OwlHoot
14th May 2014, 12:45
where by long I mean more than a line or two

I wouldn't class myself as a windbag, but there are times when things need several lines to express properly and completely.

But it seems like to people under the age of 30 any email longer than "Thanks, no prob", or "OK, I'm on it" is an intolerable burden, as if they're being expected to read a 100 page PDF file of tax form guidance notes. :tired

tomtomagain
14th May 2014, 12:46

I wouldn't class myself as a windbag, but there are times when things need several lines to express properly and completely.

But it seems like to people under the age of 30 any email longer than "Thanks, no prob", or "OK, I'm on it" is an intolerable burden, as if they're being expected to read a 100 page PDF file of tax form guidance notes. :tired

TL;DR;

speling bee
14th May 2014, 12:48

I wouldn't class myself as a windbag,

This is the issue.

Mich the Tester
14th May 2014, 12:58
I'm like soooo not reading this long post.

MyUserName
14th May 2014, 13:02
Whatevs

SueEllen
14th May 2014, 13:02
Have you tried talking to people face-to-face? I find it works better with those types of people.

Mich the Tester
14th May 2014, 13:03
God Damned Young People are Poisoning Their Minds with Too Much Information | The Problem with Young People Today Is... (http://crabbyoldfart.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/god-damned-young-people-are-poisoning-their-minds-with-too-much-information/)

BigTime
14th May 2014, 13:05
Feed it to them through a stream of instant messages and mix in a few lols you qt.

speling bee
14th May 2014, 13:07
Have you tried talking to people face-to-face? I find it works better with those types of people.

Doesn't sound awfully good.

vetran
14th May 2014, 13:12

They then deny you said it when they cock up and try to blame you, I like an email to reach for. I do try to talk face to face with more crucial conversations then confirm in an email.

In absence of a PM on one project (they have been promoted and not replaced) I have been sending out 2 page email meeting notes with all issues. Strange things that were 'impossible' or 'not our job' before I did this seem to be happening.

SueEllen
14th May 2014, 13:20
They then deny you said it when they cock up and try to blame you, I like an email to reach for. I do try to talk face to face with more crucial conversations then confirm in an email.

Then nothing to worry about then as long as you have mentioned in the email you spoke to them that morning/afternoon.

In absence of a PM on one project (they have been promoted and not replaced) I have been sending out 2 page email meeting notes with all issues. Strange things that were 'impossible' or 'not our job' before I did this seem to be happening.
I wouldn't read a 2 page email.

This why lots of companies now have a meeting every day and do their screwed up version of Scrum.

Mich the Tester
14th May 2014, 13:20
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/stop-whining-you-grumpy-old-fart.png

vetran
14th May 2014, 13:29

This why lots of companies now have a meeting every day and do their screwed up version of Scrum.

Not quite sure why you wouldn't if it was a large project and part of your duties?

They do because their name is against some of the actions and its copied to their Boss's Boss. Maybe that is why the project is slowly getting back on schedule? They spent months avoiding doing anything until now.

Best projects I have been on are where the PM is anally retentive and produces adequate (not excessive) documentation in good time.

speling bee
14th May 2014, 13:35
Then nothing to worry about then as long as you have mentioned in the email you spoke to them that morning/afternoon.

What if the pages are really small and the font size and spacing really big?

SueEllen
14th May 2014, 13:40
Not quite sure why you wouldn't if it was a large project and part of your duties?

They do because their name is against some of the actions and its copied to their Boss's Boss. Maybe that is why the project is slowly getting back on schedule? They spent months avoiding doing anything until now.

Best projects I have been on are where the PM is anally retentive and produces adequate (not excessive) documentation in good time.

The main reason I wouldn't read a 2 page email is most of them are full of irrelevant information and management speak that makes me have feelings of hatred towards the sender.

In addition most of the projects I work on are FAgile with boards everywhere so you should know what you are doing and why.

You are working with a load of people who have no incentive to get the work done as they have no incentive to do it other than to keep their jobs. The incentivised permies I've worked with are always learning a new skill, soft or otherwise, so if they need to find another job they can put it on their CV.

vetran
14th May 2014, 13:55
You are working with a load of people who have no incentive to get the work done as they have no incentive to do it other than to keep their jobs.

Most definitely this for half the team! Unfortunately firing half of them isn't an option. Shaming them into doing something seems to work better than trusting them to do it.

Tried the agile style projects , not sure if its the lack of skill of the participants but they normally end up as an Emu with wheels when we wanted a table.

mudskipper
14th May 2014, 15:31
Most definitely this for half the team! Unfortunately firing half of them isn't an option. Shaming them into doing something seems to work better than trusting them to do it.

Tried the agile style projects , not sure if its the lack of skill of the participants but they normally end up as an Emu with wheels when we wanted a table.

Emu on Wheels - got a ring to it - perhaps a new framework?

MyUserName
14th May 2014, 15:35
Emu on Wheels - got a ring to it - perhaps a new framework?

Perhaps the next version of Ruby on rails?

suityou01
14th May 2014, 16:31
Owly, you are not alone. The other day I sent a long email, it contained only the facts. You know the kind of thing, this the the progress to date, these are the blockers, these are the decisions I am chasing, etc etc.

I also clearly stated the scope of work had changed, as in got much larger and more complex, and clearly asked for some additional resource in terms of testers and a BA.

And I was very clear that owing to the current state of things, ie having so many decisions outstanding, and unanswered questions it was not possible to provide an end date until we got some answers.

I sheet you not, 24 hours later the PM came up to me and asked how much longer it was going to take.

Was the email read? Was it being deliberately ignored?

No fooking idea, but the needless interruption didn't go down to well as I was balls deep in trying to solve these issues at the time, so having to pull my head out of what I was doing and field questions I had already answered in my email made me feel like murdering a kitten. :tantrum:

darmstadt
14th May 2014, 17:05
I do one of 3 things:

- 1-3 word emails
- missives that would make a Thomas Mann book look short but all in English so no-one reads them anyway
- lots of pictures, that seems to work

Its a shame Germans know what RTFM means otherwise that would be in a lot of my mails :mad

tomtomagain
14th May 2014, 20:15
Reason most people don't read email is because email is broken.

In my last corporate job I received easily more than 100 per day.

You can't read them, never mind digest and act on all that information.

Zero Liability
14th May 2014, 21:10
With the amount of arse-covering that people need to engage in nowadays, it's no surprise.

Some people are just lazy with email, though. That does tick me off.

suityou01
14th May 2014, 21:16
Reason most people don't read email is because email is broken.

In my last corporate job I received easily more than 100 per day.

You can't read them, never mind digest and act on all that information.

Lazy arsed, slack jawed, sloping shouldered, column dodging, layabout, oxygen thief, stuffed suit, waste of space, lefty liberal, Pringle jumper wearing, Saturday golfing, passat driving, greasy pole climbing, inert, seat warming, should be a civil servant, or an mep, probably in management time waster.

I read them. And act on them. I call it doing my job.

HTH.

suityou01
14th May 2014, 21:18
With the amount of arse-covering that people need to engage in nowadays, it's no surprise.

Some people are just lazy with email, though. That does tick me off.

Totally this. Laziness is endemic. One day I will go postal. :laugh

tomtomagain
14th May 2014, 21:23
Lazy arsed, slack jawed, sloping shouldered, column dodging, layabout, oxygen thief, stuffed suit, waste of space, lefty liberal, Pringle jumper wearing, Saturday golfing, passat driving, greasy pole climbing, inert, seat warming, should be a civil servant, or an mep, probably in management time waster.

I read them. And act on them. I call it doing my job.

HTH.

Yeah but your job is low level and you only get 3 a day.

suityou01
14th May 2014, 21:26
Yeah but your job is low level and you only get 3 a day.

Still fooking read em and respond to them. :D

CheeseSlice
14th May 2014, 22:26
Do young people not read long emails any more?
where by long I ... [endless waffle]

<yawn> :tired

BrilloPad
15th May 2014, 06:20
kks

BrilloPad
15th May 2014, 06:21
Still fooking read em and respond to them. :D

That might be why you are so ill all the time.....

OwlHoot
15th May 2014, 08:05
Totally this. Laziness is endemic. One day I will go postal. :laugh

Going postal would be no use - There's too much junk mail these days!

No seriously, I agree 100% with you Suity (I did after all start this thread).

But there is another side to this - One can also be lazy in drafting and sending emails, i.e. not making the effort to keep the email concise and to the point and to target it only at people who need to read it or be aware of it now.

But then if you're too strict on the targetting, someone you omitted to CC complains that you're keeping them out of the loop and could you kindly keep them informed in future. :facepalm:

BrilloPad
15th May 2014, 08:15
long drivel

Awesome post! Epic!