• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Chico's brother arrested for polygami!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Chico's brother arrested for polygami!

US polygamy sect leader arrested

Warren Jeffs faces charges of sexual misconduct with minors

A polygamist sect leader who has been on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List has been arrested in Las Vegas.

Warren Jeffs, 50, was pulled over by a Nevada Highway Patrol on Monday along with his brother and one of his wives.

He went into hiding in May after being charged in Arizona with sexual misconduct for allegedly arranging marriages between minors and older men.

Mr Jeffs leads the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) in Arizona and Utah.

Warren Jeffs, who is reputed to have 70 wives, took over the leadership of the church after his father Rulon died in 2002.

Road to heaven

The 10,000-strong FLDS split from the Mormon Church more than a century ago after the latter renounced polygamy. The sect dominates the towns of Colorado City, in Arizona, and Hildale, Utah, less than a mile away.

Members of FLDS believe a man must marry at least three wives in order to ascend to heaven. (AtW: now that's appealing, earthly pleasures certainly beat 72 virgins in supposed afterlife...)

Polygamy is illegal in the US, but the authorities have reportedly been reluctant to confront the FLDS for fear of sparking a tragedy similar to the 1993 siege of the Branch Davidian sect in Waco, Texas, which led to the deaths of around 80 members.

However, correspondents say the church is coming under increasing pressure from authorities in Utah and Arizona.

-------------------------

So Chico, what's the official view on polygami - is it okay or not?

Talking almost exactly about the same thing

did you see the Origami Championship last week? It was a pay-per-view!

IGMC
    Why not?

Comment

The official Mormons look ok. They get to elect their prophet apparently. Very democratic.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Atw it is polygamy not polygami ok?

Xog I know someone who has come out from the official Mormon religion and trut me appearances can be very deceptive. It may look ok but it most certainly is not. That is run road you do not want to travel.
        Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
          Atw it is polygamy not polygami ok?

Xog I know someone who has come out from the official Mormon religion and trut me appearances can be very deceptive. It may look ok but it most certainly is not. That is run road you do not want to travel.
          It's trust not trut (or trot) - and a comma is missing
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I'm in 2 minds about this polygamy thing.. on the one had with the figures of 70 wives being bandied about it would suggest endless totty and sex-on-demand ( & surely with so many available 3-somes become a real possibility)

Alternately from experience the ear ache one wife can generate x 70 times would be unbearable
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

He should come to the |UK, darken up his face and then he will be able to claim benefits for all his wives!
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                It's trust not trut (or trot) - and a comma is missing
                He will burn in hell for that!!!

Comment

One wife was quite enough for me.
                  We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                    I'm in 2 minds about this polygamy thing.. on the one had with the figures of 70 wives being bandied about it would suggest endless totty and sex-on-demand ( & surely with so many available 3-somes become a real possibility)

Alternately from experience the ear ache one wife can generate x 70 times would be unbearable
                    Complete with a few hundred screaming children.

Oops, that's a new one: "The Websense category "Traditional Religions" is filtered."

Comment

Working...
                    X