• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should teachers be called?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should teachers be called?

BBC News - Calling teachers Sir and Miss 'depressing and sexist'

So what should teachers be called?
    I will specify
    42.86%
    AndyW
    57.14%

It's depressing that treating teachers with respect and as authority figures is depressing.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Seem to be one of those situations where someone has seized on a single particular meaning for a word and refuses to acknowledge the others. Sir, Miss, Madam etc are polite forms of address in English similar to Sie in German. The fact that Sir also serves as a title for someone who has been knighted is irrelevant, unless she's suggesting female teachers be referred to as Dame to maintain parity.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I call people by their first name.

Unless i'm taking the p155 or want something from them, then it's Mr/Mrs/Sir/Madam.
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

We live in a world where we call the company chief exec or prime minister by their first name, so I think it's time for schools to catch up. Get rid of ties as well.

Kids should be prepared for the real world.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
            I call people by their first name.

Unless i'm taking the p155 or want something from them, then it's Mr/Mrs/Sir/Madam.
            "Coming to bed Mrs KingCook?"

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
            We live in a world where we call the company chief exec or prime minister by their first name, so I think it's time for schools to catch up. Get rid of ties as well.

I think I'd call him Mr. Cameron when we were introduced.

How about "Mrs/Mr ..." instead of sir/miss?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I think I'd call him Mr. Cameron when we were introduced.

How about "Mrs/Mr ..." instead of sir/miss?
              Indeed. What's wrong with using the formal version of their name?

I remember first having to use Sir/Miss at High School, which seemed pretty weird and somewhat old fashioned even then. But High School was the first time; somehow we all coped before then.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Mr/Miss/Ms/Mrs

simple.

the ones that make it complicated are the teachers who don't like one of the forms of address for some obscure reason. Or they want to bond with not manage the kids.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  So what should teachers be called?
                  Whatever they ask the children to call them that they feel comfortable with. Sir, Mr <name>, Miss, Dr <name>, Mrs <name>, <first name>, <nickname> - when I was at secondary school, depending on the teacher (and the moment), it could have been any of those.

Primary school it's easier for the children to use sir / miss than Mr/Mrs/Dr <name>, but if the teacher wants something different then let them.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                    Sit round all day watching TV with a fortnightly trip to sign on?

Comment

Working...
                    X