• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developer using Agile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developer using Agile

This is the 2nd proper agile software development project i've worked, and am wondering if this is normal...

I work on code with other developers (contractors and permies), and whenever we get to the code review stage, code gets "tidied up" by the "senior" permie dev(s).

It's doing exactly the same thing as before, but now using different variable names or slightly differing syntax. To me this seems like a total waste of time (and money).

Any other devs in an agile environment experienced this?

I suppose a positive to this is that it would be more difficult to claim from my professional indemnity insurance
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Perhaps they are enforcing coding standards. It's not unheard of although it can largely be automated in modern IDEs using things like checkstyle
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Perhaps they are enforcing coding standards. It's not unheard of although it can largely be automated in modern IDEs using things like checkstyle
      +1 nothing worse then looking at a project and seeing that the 6 previous developers all had their own personal coding style....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Although, a senior dev doing this rather than ramming it down your throat with "REVIEW FAILURE, FOLLOW THE F***ING STANDARDS" seems less productive somehow.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Although, a senior dev doing this rather than ramming it down your throat with "REVIEW FAILURE, FOLLOW THE F***ING STANDARDS" seems less productive somehow.
          Its self defeating but work generating especially if you don't have a full workload....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Agile means whatever people want it to mean. So maybe. I've never experienced anywhere with code reviews, and certainly not anywhere where somebody went rewriting other people's code, though here the senior dev (who inevitably is the one that is holding up all the projects) insists that only he can merge changes into the "main branch" - a colossal waste of time IMO.

Sounds like a keeping themselves in a job type. They've nothing much to contribute, but haven't quite made the jump to PM yet.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              Any other devs in an agile environment experienced this?
              Don't know whether it was classed as an agile environment, but at one client I worked with, one guy worked over the weekend re-writing my code because I'd used the ANSI JOIN syntax rather than the Oracle (+) notation.

The reason given was that this was complicated enough, so having a shorter query (in terms of characters used) would be better for performance....
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                They shouldn't need to do it every time, one rejected code review should really be enough to get your arse into gear.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Agile means whatever people want it to mean. So maybe. I've never experienced anywhere with code reviews, and certainly not anywhere where somebody went rewriting other people's code
                  Code reviews are common ad make sense to me, but it's a central tenet of code reviews that the reviewee makes changes
                  though here the senior dev (who inevitably is the one that is holding up all the projects) insists that only he can merge changes into the "main branch" - a colossal waste of time IMO.
                  Depends on the project. This is the model used by many open-source projects - anyone can contribute but someone has to act as gatekeeper so that no change gets into the main trunk unsupervised.

I agree in a smaller team this isn't normally sensible although having to get permission to merge/pull does make sense to me if you aren't all experts on the project, and/or aren't all aware of what each other are working on.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    They shouldn't need to do it every time, one rejected code review should really be enough to get your arse into gear.
                    Depending on your environment you can try and automate the worst of it so that checkins with really awful mess in them fail. I've always found people go overboard with arcane rules that make it a bit of a mare though you soon learn them
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X