• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For the Elite

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Elite

Chap rebuilds BBC Micro in JavaScript

Matt Godbolt, a developer whose day job sees him work at a securities trading outfit, has used his personal time to rebuild the Acorn BBC Micro in JavaScript.

JSBeeb, running here and downloadable from Github is the product of about two months' work.

The emulator reproduces a 32K BBC Micro and when loaded into your browser produces the command prompt. Menus promise the chance to download software for the micro from various online sources, but proved a little flaky in our brief tests. If you experience the same problem, he's also built versions of the emulator that boot straight into classics like Elite and Repton.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I may be gone for some time.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Getting your Oates?

I wonder if this is where the saying comes from :

Captain Oates and his hidden passion - The Scotsman

weird never knew that!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Is that because you have found the Strip Poker option in the Load from STH link?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I tried playing Elite on RISCOS on my Raspberry Pi.

Then I remembered how bad I was at it, once it changed to using a mouse rather than keyboard.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What is it with people doing stupid things with Javascript.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              What was it with people doing stupid things with BASIC or electronics when you could buy a gadget to do it for you.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Matthew a single virgin living in a bedsit with only a pet squirrel for company stated 'It was always my dream to write some kickass software that someday would allow me to talk to a woman'
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  What was it with people doing stupid things with BASIC or electronics when you could buy a gadget to do it for you.
                  Before we had computers people would do stupid things with bread, or fire, or pencils. Some people still do, like those folk who build models of St Paul's Cathedral out of matches. It's human nature.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It's Atwood's law: http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-pri...f-least-power/

*"I propose a corollary to this rule, which in the spirit ofrecent*memes, I'll call*Atwood's Law: any application that*can*be written in JavaScript,will*eventually be written in JavaScript"

Comment

Working...
                    X