• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any one fancy an aluminium E type?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one fancy an aluminium E type?

Jaguar hand-builds six E-Types - BT

Should stop 'em rusting as quick as the standard E then.

The tooling for the E type was scrapped back in the 70s* so this really must be a labour of love.

*Would you expect anything different from BL?

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Jaguar hand-builds six E-Types - BT

Should stop 'em rusting as quick as the standard E then.

The tooling for the E type was scrapped back in the 70s* so this really must be a labour of love.

*Would you expect anything different from BL?
    Yes please, if I can scratch together a couple of bazillion quid.

And no, I wouldn't have expected anything different from BL. Idiots. Even their best moments turned to poo; the XJ series III was stunning, with a classic design ever so slightly tweaked by Pininfarina. What a shame that they built it so badly. I assume this new E type will be more sturdily bolted and welded together.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

never liked the XJ, much preferred the later S type.

Haven't they just released a £1/4 million new E type ?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        The panels can be hand beaten, as they may well have been on the originals. It was quite common in those days, you can't just buy a new panel for a 60s Ferrari for example, or even swap them between cars, because the minor differences in manufacture and hand finishing mean they won't line up properly.

I am wondering where the engine blocks are coming from, are they going to make new moulds? Will they use a period alloy? I can't help but think with modern alloys and CNC machine tools they are going to be better than the originals.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          According to that article there's only going to be 6 of them.

So all the panels will be shaped by panel bashing & wheeling etc.

Very skilled sort of stuff.
          Indeed. Proper craftsmanship.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

A Mk 10 would be rather nice.

Comment

A mate of mine has a 420G.

Which, apparently is a MK X in disguise.

Jaguar Mark X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Is it a stunning as the examples in the piccies or is it a bit more like this;

Comment

1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 by Scaglietti | Monterey 2014 | RM AUCTIONS

More my cup of tea.

Comment

Won't idle at the moment coz of that weird little electrick idle carb thing that certain SU's had.
                  Later Jags use much more advanced technology to not idle properly!

Comment

A mate of mine has a 420G.

Which, apparently is a MK X in disguise.

Jaguar Mark X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    LOL. I was just about to post almost the same link.

I saw an excellent example on display at an "Old Timers" day in 2011 and I'm looking at the piccies I took.

Wooden picnic tables in the back, chrome door and window handles and of course leather seats (front ones a bit worn).

Poking my head in the window I could still catch a bit of the lovely smell they had.

Three carburettors, which someone who'd had an E-Type in the 60s/70s told us were a nightmare to keep in tune with each other.

265PS @ 5400rpm, 195km/h max speed. 1966-1970, 1125 of 'em built.

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X