• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When First Class is Full

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When First Class is Full

You've got a long day ahead and don't particularly want to rub shoulders with the great unwashed so you treat yourself to a first class ticket at a cost of more than double the standard fare.

Train pulls in and you duly make your way to the 1st class accommodation where you intend to spend the next 1hr30 mins ensconced in a comfy seat, drinking complimentary coffee oblivious to the bedlam in the adjoining 2nd class accommodation.

Except that first class is full. Not a single seat available. So I puff out my chest and make my way down the train to find the SWT gripper.

And you know what he said? Tough titties, or words to that effect. I was expecting that at least he would give me a signed chitty enabling me to reclaim the cost of the difference between 1st class and 2nd class.

This is a disgrace.

You'd have though in this day and age that they'd be able to have a system intelligent enough to not sell the ticket if the seats were all taken

I can't think of any part of the rail network that is in this day and age.

Comment

First class is supposed to be for people with some decorum. They don't want plebs like you in there.

Next time go on the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Chiltern runs a pretty good service.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Full? I thought most of it was.

First class being full must be a sign of the economic recovery being in full swing. Boomed!
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I found that first class was usually filled with civil servants who would usually be getting on the train at 9 as travel time was considered work time.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
              This is a disgrace.

You'd have though in this day and age that they'd be able to have a system intelligent enough to not sell the ticket if the seats were all taken
              Take the opportunity to mix with the common man and women, find out about them and get to know and love them. You will find they are not so different that you, though they may think you stupid for paying double the price for free coffee and a sad sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Take the opportunity to mix with the common man and women, find out about them and get to know and love them.
                Don't be stupid!

Anyhow, none of your replies have addressed the real issue. I paid for a first class ticket and had to sit in 2nd class because 1st was full and I'm not getting a refund.

I think that's outrageous.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                  Don't be stupid!

Anyhow, none of your replies have addressed the real issue. I paid for a first class ticket and had to sit in 2nd class because 1st was full and I'm not getting a refund.

I think that's outrageous.
                  I didn't address the issue cause I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I didn't address the issue cause I don't care.
                    Well in that case I hope your BBQ is a complete and unmitigated disaster, all your food gets burnt to a cinder and none of your guests ever speaks to you again. And I hope all your hair gets singed off in the process too. So there.

Comment

Working...
                    X