• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why does everyone tell new mums their baby is gorgeous?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does everyone tell new mums their baby is gorgeous?

I admit I'm not a fan of babies but they can be kind of cute - but newborns all red and squashed are not objectively beautiful other than in the sense any new life is beautiful so when someone puts a photo on FB why do you get so much gushing about the baby looking "gorgeous", "stunning", etc?

I stick with "congratulations"
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I admit I'm not a fan of babies but they can be kind of cute - but newborns all red and squashed are not objectively beautiful other than in the sense any new life is beautiful so when someone puts a photo on FB why do you get so much gushing about the baby looking "gorgeous", "stunning", etc?

Me too, especially when they're fugly little tulips.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Because it's a kind thing to do.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        Because it's a kind thing to do.
        A bit like telling someone "of course everything is going to be OK" or "I won't let that happen" when it's something over which you have no control?

Comment

A bit like telling someone "of course everything is going to be OK" or "I won't let that happen" when it's something over which you have no control?
          No it's not.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

But it wouldn't exactly win you friends if you said 'Oh what a fat ugly pigfaced baby you have!'
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              But it wouldn't exactly win you friends if you said 'Oh what a fat ugly pigfaced baby you have!'
              Yes, but they're all ugly so I don't mention the baby's appearance. I say congratulations, ask if they've already chosen a name and if everything went OK, and sometimes present gifts like cigars, champagne or (in some cases) blue cheese

Comment

its good manners, pick out a feature you like & comment on it.

Oh doesn't (s)he have lovely eyes/feet/nose. If they are fugly.

Job done.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  its good manners, pick out a feature you like & comment on it.

Oh doesn't (s)he have lovely eyes/feet/nose. If they are fugly.

Job done.
                  The other thing I hate is "he's got your <feature>". No it bloody doesn't, unless you have a very strong genetic feature/disfigurement in which case mentioning it might not be polite

Comment

A woman gets on a bus with her baby. The bus driver says: 'Ugh, that's the ugliest baby I've ever seen!' The woman walks to the rear of the bus and sits down, fuming. She says to a man next to her: 'The driver just insulted me!' The man says: 'You go up there and tell him off. Go on, I'll hold your monkey for you.'
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X