• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

innocent mistakes on self-assessment tax returns may be punished

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

innocent mistakes on self-assessment tax returns may be punished

HMRC investigations into savers' tax affairs double - Telegraph

According to HMRC we are all guilty.

No doubt Mrs Miggins who neglected to tell them about the 1p interest she got on her post office savings will be sent to the gas chambers. Its only fair.

I'm not convinced many of these mistakes are such as innocent as many make out. If you're a higher rate taxpayer, it's pretty simple knowing that you need to declare bank interest etc. If "doctors, lawyers and teachers" are incapable of getting this, they are not competent enough to do their day job.

I knew someone (a "middle class professional") that just didn't bother declaring his bank interest at all - which is simple evasion - however, he already had his "oh, blimey, I didn't realise I had to declare that - the bank statement said it was already taxed" excuse lined up if he was ever caught.

Comment

"Tax experts warned…" - well, it was very nice of them to do that. An example of selfless service for the benefit of the wider public, offering helpful warnings with no thought of drumming up business for themselves.

Well done, tax experts!

Comment

There are large swathes of higher rate tax payers in PAYE employment who never ever fill out a tax return - their interest presumably isn't taxed. Are they going to make every higher rate payer fill out a return?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          There are large swathes of higher rate tax payers in PAYE employment who never ever fill out a tax return - their interest presumably isn't taxed. Are they going to make every higher rate payer fill out a return?
          They ought to do because according to these guys

Even if the amount of income is very small, they have a responsibility to notify HMRC and then complete a tax return once told to do so.
          If I were Hector, i'd start hassling anyone who paid 40% paye and hadn't sent in a SA return. Even if they got a penny a month on their current account, it's a £100 fine for not filling the form in. Got to be creative in these tough times

Comment

There is a simple answer. stop taxing people to oblivion and start spending the tax efficiently and effectively.

Most tax inspectors retire in their 50s with state pensions
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Most tax inspectors retire in their 50s with state pensions
              Thats because they can't stand the pressure of being bent over by the Big boys and their decent accountants.

I know they have to appear strict but frankly it seems like scare tactics.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Interesting comment. MrsBP gets to do a tax return every year as she was director of my limited for 2 years. 5 years ago I went permie and she has not earned anything since (she stays at home to wash my socks) - but I have to fill in a form every year. Total waste of time.

Any higher rate taxpayer who does earn interest should be requesting a tax form. Not sure what the penalty for not doing one is - is it burning at the stake or hanging?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Thats because they can't stand the pressure of being bent over by the Big boys and their decent accountants.

I know they have to appear strict but frankly it seems like scare tactics.
                  I was a tax inspector myself, nearly 2 decades ago. The inspections with the big boys and their accountants were the most interesting, as you could argue statutes, case law, and there was a mutual respect in many cases. Big money in some cases, but they generally took months (and sometimes years) to resolve.

I left mainly because of the govt directive that we had to focus on the "mom and pop" run businesses as they were quick and showed the public our presence.

It's not about "pressure" (they're civil servants after all...), it's about targets and KPIs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    This comes under the heading of defensive tactics. By not declaring your 10p in interest to the tax man they can use this trivial oversight to launch a full blown investigation. It's well known and common practice on their part for a number of years. You can argue all you like, but that is the fact.
                    That is true. But if you owe nothing in tax you are fine. MrsBP once got threatened with £60/day fine. Acoountant sorted it but said as she owed nothing there was never any chance of the fine going ahead.

Comment

Working...
                    X