• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Experiences on switching accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences on switching accountant

Hi all,

I'm close to my company year end and I'm thinking about the possibility of switching accountant. I'm not overly happy with my current one (even they know my figures, I need to chase them to obtain my VAT returns - I'd like to switch to FreeAgent - and I know sometimes I ask a lot of questions but I pay them and I'd like them to respond in a bit friendlier manner!) and - although I haven't decided yet - this may happen. I spoke to a firm that a couple of my friends in the same sector as me use and he said that ideally the switch should happen at the beginning of the company year (1st of July in my case), plus when I make the switch I need to make sure that the old accountancy firm still files my account for the year I've been with them (and my self assessment as they told me they would do it).

Has anybody of you experience in switching accountants? If so, do you think that his advice is sensible and have you obtained the same from your old firm?

I know switching accountant is not the same as switching banks, but I read few people done this already (although found nothing about details in the process) so I'd like to hear from them.

Thanks!

This is a "How long is a piece of string?" type question

One thing to remember is that some accountants delay doing your books until just before the deadline for submitting your accounts meaning that if you change accountants you will be 8-9 months into your next company year. While other accountants take a month but even then you will be a month into your new company year.

Paying money to get away from a sh*t accountant is money well spent.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've not had to do it, but if I didn't like my accountant, I would just get on and change asap.

Comment

Just make sure you check what is included from your current advisor, and at what point they stop working when you stop paying. Some accountants will continue with outstanding work after you leave, if it was covered in your fees already paid, whereas others will cease all work at the point you stop paying.

Try to list everything that needs to be done and then make sure you know which accountant is doing what. Be careful to ensure no VAT returns or RTI submissions are missed in the handover.

Provided both firms are professional, and you've acted professionally too, then it should be quite simple. You just need to keep an eye on things.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by manubbo View Post
          Has anybody of you experience in switching accountants? If so, do you think that his advice is sensible and have you obtained the same from your old firm?
          It depends on your experiences with the current accountant - for example, if you have no faith in them getting things right, then you are probably best placed to ditch them now and ask the new accountant to do this year for you as well. Conversely, you may think that since you have paid for the current accountant to do the work, then you are best to get them to do what you have paid them to do, and get your money's worth.

When I changed from my old accountant to InTouch (if you go with them, tell them I sent you ), I wrote off the amount of money that I paid to the old one, who was VERY expensive and not that efficient, and "persuaded" Clare to do that year as well, because I moved near our year end. It wasn't straightforward trying to decipher what the old accountant had done, but I have more confidence that we are right now than I ever did in the past.

In short, make sure that you know who is doing what - keep an eye on things for the first bit to ensure that your personal and company filing all get done correctly.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I had to switch from a small local one man band firm. I thought it would be better as I could go see him but he knew nothing about contracting and left me in a bit of a mess. I made the mistake of waiting which just allowed him to cock up even more so my advice is if you don't trust him move immediately. It might cost you a couple of quid more if you have to pay the new people to do your returns but is peanuts compare to how exposed a bad accountant can leave you.

The company I moved to (SJD) were happy to deal directly with my old accountant and request all the information they wanted. Rather predictably he didn't answer a single call or send anything to them despite months of chasing so almost had to start from scratch with the new guys.

As I said, if you don't trust them move immediately. I spent a good couple of years worrying about the state of that years accounts.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              Try to list everything that needs to be done and then make sure you know which accountant is doing what. Be careful to ensure no VAT returns or RTI submissions are missed in the handover.

Provided both firms are professional, and you've acted professionally too, then it should be quite simple. You just need to keep an eye on things.
              Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              The company I moved to (SJD) were happy to deal directly with my old accountant and request all the information they wanted. Rather predictably he didn't answer a single call or send anything to them despite months of chasing so almost had to start from scratch with the new guys.
              Indeed. Inevitably sometimes people don't get on with a certain accountant despite them being perfectly competent. Personality clash, whatever. In those instances, changing accountant is usually pretty straight forward, old accountant will liaise with new accountant to make things as smooth as possible.

Sometimes though accountants are just plain rubbish, charging not a lot, but doing very little in return for it (or even worse doing stuff badly, making a hash of things). Their attitude when a client leaves is typically "well eff you then", and they'll ignore any further requests from you/new accountant, which makes it hard for everyone involved.

I think they key thing with forums like this is that where people have moved accountants, they can be objective about what happened and distinguish between the above (ok so it's not always black and white one or the other...but normally close enough). If it was the former situation, the accountant doesn't deserve bad mouthing, it's just one of those things. If the latter, they do, and TBH shouldn't be allowed to continue in business.

Comment

As has been said, the process depends entirely on the accountant(s) involved.

We take on a lot of clients from other accountants and in most cases the process is very smooth. However, some are very unhelpful and either provide very little information or do not respond at all, which leaves everybody frustrated.

If you are concerned, ask your current accountant (in writing) what you can expect from them should you terminate your agreement and appoint another accountant.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

The only time I changed over, it all went smoothly.

My original accountants started to get more and more expensive and the customer service got a lot worse. I imagined it was really hard to move but I spotted an advert on the PCG website for an small accountancy firm close to where I live.

They had been through the PCG process of being approved by them (can't remember what they call it) so it seemed a good idea to go with them. I had one face-to-face meeting and I signed a document giving them permission to contact my old firm to request all my paperwork. The old firm contacted me to confirm I wished to move and after that it was all done over the next few months. I didn't miss any submission dates.

I've since only met my accountant a couple of times, everything is done online and I pay them to do extras such as my self assessment. I know it's easy enough to do but they've saved me money in the past by claiming something I wouldn't have known about myself.

Better to pay a professional to take the strain so I can concentrate on the business of making money

Comment

Thank you all for the replies.

My take on what your replies is that some accountants could still do your current tax year accounts if they're able to get that information from your old accountant - hence if I switch before the end of the tax year and I ask them to deal with my old firm they should be able to do that. I'd be happy in case to chip in some extra money for stuff like self-assessment, after all better spend some money for peace of mind (and I take it as part of costs of properly running a business).

I'm quite surprised though as the firm I'm with now is very recommended on this forum and I thought I didn't have any problems. I know sometimes I maybe too meticulous, but after all I pay good money for a service and if after I submit a spreadsheet I have to wait 2 weeks then chase to get my VAT return, then I pay HMRC but for another week they haven't submitted the VAT return unless I chase them... well I think there are some problems.

I will try to be in touch with the guy to see whether they can handle this year accounts and my self assessment for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X