• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kraut of order?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kraut of order?

Funny one this. War themed festival mired in controversy over Nazi costumes

Should the Germans be represented at a 1940's themed weekend? They were somewhat integral to procedings after all. Is it a reasonable stance, or are the good people of Howarth a bunch of bedwetters who should stick to Cathy and Heathcliffe?
    Last edited by barrydidit; 18 May 2014, 17:32. Reason: speeling

TBH I think many people think it's just easier to ban them all not particularly because of what they represent, they just don't want the hassle.

We have well known war weekend in our village a bit later in the year and it all kicks off about this at this one as well. No one is particularly upset about what it represents, they just get more worked up arguing about it if that makes sense. Those that aren't bothered get angry at those that say ban it because it causes too much hassle. Very very few people actually say ban it because it is offensive. More like a storm in a teacup than people actually being offensive.

It's very strange. I must admit in my mind if it is going to cause controversy on this scale why bother turning up in German uniform? It just doesn't seem worth it. Pick a different uniform and everyone can get along surely?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      Funny one this. War themed festival mired in controversy over Nazi costumes

Should the Germans be represented at a 1940's themed weekend? They were somewhat ingral to procedings after all. Is it a reasonable stance, or are the good people of Howarth a bunch of bedwetters who should stick to Cathy and Heathcliffe?
      I don't think its the fact that people were in German uniforms, which is fine, but the fact that some wore SS paraphernalia which is very hurtful to many people. Maybe we could a 1930's revival and wear black shirts and walk down Cable Street?
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

It probably is being extreme taking an SS uniform along rather than a luftwaffe or a kriegsmarine one I suppose. No mention of any Japanese or Italian representation either. Maybe playing the bad guy can only be effectively done with a Teutonic sneer.

I think NLUK is probably right though - it's less hassle to just ban it and then there's nothing to argue about.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          I don't think its the fact that people were in German uniforms, which is fine, but the fact that some wore SS paraphernalia which is very hurtful to many people. Maybe we could a 1930's revival and wear black shirts and walk down Cable Street?
          Really? Raiders of the Lost Ark gets regular day time screenings and I don't remember much fuss ever being show about the endless shots of SS uniforms.

These days it is a never ending stream of panty wetting.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Really? Raiders of the Lost Ark gets regular day time screenings and I don't remember much fuss ever being show about the endless shots of SS uniforms.

These days it is a never ending stream of panty wetting.
            I think that the men wearing these uniforms are living out some kind of SM fantasy. If they really wanted to educate people then they would be better off setting up a proper exhibition than swaggering around a little village in SS uniforms. As was pointed out earlier, where are the Japanese or Italians? I'm going to go next year, after going on a crash diet, shave my head and remove any gold teeth I have, in black and white striped pyjamas with a yellow star sewn on the arm...

Presumably in order to keep it authentic, they could be hanged afterwards as well
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I think that the men wearing these uniforms are living out some kind of SM fantasy.
              I reckon there's a lot of truth to that.

I'm going to go next year, after going on a crash diet, shave my head and remove any gold teeth I have, in black and white striped pyjamas with a yellow star sewn on the arm...
              I think it would diffuse a lot of the upset if there were Polish, French, Russian, Italian, Japanese etc present. But it seems like it's only a selective 'Vera Lynn, singsongs in the air raid shelters and no bananas' elements of the past that should be present. If that's the case they should market it as a 'We'll meet again some sunny day' weekend and have done with it. Which, tbh, I wouldn't begrudge the old folks for a second.

On that theme, there's a similar one in a village about a mile from where I live and one of the elderly neighbours is involved in the organising - she tips us off when the Battle of Britain memorial flight is coming over and I have to say it certainly raises the hairs on the back of the neck when a heavy bomber floats over at a few hundred feet.

Comment

I think that the men wearing these uniforms are living out some kind of SM fantasy. If they really wanted to educate people then they would be better off setting up a proper exhibition than swaggering around a little village in SS uniforms. As was pointed out earlier, where are the Japanese or Italians? I'm going to go next year, after going on a crash diet, shave my head and remove any gold teeth I have, in black and white striped pyjamas with a yellow star sewn on the arm...

Presumably in order to keep it authentic, they could be hanged afterwards as well
                You claimed that the SS uniform was hurtful to many people yet it is used countless times in entertainment and have been for years with no complaint. FFS, they were running about in them in star trek in the 60s, Nimoy included, and nobody was bothered. Now when that is pointed out they are sexual deviants and they should only ever be used in with historical context.

Typically you have constructed a pile of absolute mince to excuse your dislike of anyone engaged in this hobby to append to the catalogue of tulipe that flows forth from your posts.

Comment

Why not go dressed in Italian battle flag? A white sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    You claimed that the SS uniform was hurtful to many people yet it is used countless times in entertainment and have been for years with no complaint. FFS, they were running about in them in star trek in the 60s, Nimoy included, and nobody was bothered. Now when that is pointed out they are sexual deviants and they should only ever be used in with historical context.

Typically you have constructed a pile of absolute mince to excuse your dislike of anyone engaged in this hobby to append to the catalogue of tulipe that flows forth from your posts.
                    And you've just talked a load of bollocks as you can see by the quotes. Did I say I disliked it? I could equally say that you're a Nazi sympathiser because you're sticking up for them...

Comment

Working...
                    X