• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick question about the monarchy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about the monarchy

This is an honest question. I do not know the answer. Yes I am a

If the Victorians are from then Queen Victoria was on the throne, and Gerogians are from then King George is on the throne, does this make us Elizabethans? Cos I thought there already were some from ca 1588 for a few years?

Bonus questions, if Charles takes up the throne, what shall we be know as? Charlesians? Charlesebethans?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I don't think it works like that anymore.

Back in the day the Monarch did influence society on a much larger scale than now.

So yes we see Victorian architecture etc etc however there is not a specific single stype of architecture now so we do not really belong to an era you can clearly define by the monarch.

IMHO

Comment

To the best of my amazingly limited knowledge it is not a formal naming system. Merely a convenient way of grouping things when looking at historical events. Therefore in the future they might call us Elizabethans if they want to refer to us all in the general case although I suppose or another name might catch on.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        This is an honest question. I do not know the answer. Yes I am a

If the Victorians are from then Queen Victoria was on the throne, and Gerogians are from then King George is on the throne, does this make us Elizabethans? Cos I thought there already were some from ca 1588 for a few years?

Bonus questions, if Charles takes up the throne, what shall we be know as? Charlesians? Charlesebethans?
        It doesn't work like that - it might at some stage in the future be reflected upon as a named era other than "post-war" which is what it is termed now.

The name doesn't always correspond to the name of the monarch, either - for example Georgian also covers the reign of William IV, and the Edwardian period runs from the death of Victoria to the start of the first world war.

When Charles I and II were on the throne, it was the Caroline era, so some derivation of that could theoretically be used, but won't be.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Or we have Tudors etc. Perhaps we'll be Windsors.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Or we have Tudors etc. Perhaps we'll be Windsors.
            Mountbatten.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I thought in a fit of post war optimism we were referred to as 'new elizibethans'. I think I've heard that term in British pathé type footage. I reckon they gave up the term in the 70s. Maybe find an old person to ask?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Georgians again. King Charles is assocaited with mistresses and beheading. Having already had a mistress he won't risk beheading.

Will the new heir to the throne become George VII or George VIII? - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                X