• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halifax to restrict income multiple to x 4 on mortgages over £500,000

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halifax to restrict income multiple to x 4 on mortgages over £500,000

This is pretty big news in the world of mortgages. It is being done to try and cap inflationary pressures on the London housing market. Other contractor friendly lenders who work off your daily rate will still go to 4.5 x income but it will be interesting to see if they follow suit as they may not want the influx of business.

Lloyds slaps 4 x income restriction on borrowing over £500K | News | Mortgage Strategy

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    This is pretty big news in the world of mortgages. It is being done to try and cap inflationary pressures on the London housing market. Other contractor friendly lenders who work off your daily rate will still go to 4.5 x income but it will be interesting to see if they follow suit as they may not want the influx of business.

Lloyds slaps 4 x income restriction on borrowing over £500K | News | Mortgage Strategy
    This is surely a good thing. Anything that can slow the acceleration of price rises will help reduce any impending bursting of the bubble. 10% increases are certainly unsustainable and we are heading for another crisis unless something is done immediately.

Comment

Why would individual banks work to cap inflationary pressures, and lose business to banks that decide to do otherwise?

This move must surely be to mitigate against the risk of loss to the bank from non-performing high value and income multiple mortgages.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        Why would individual banks work to cap inflationary pressures, and lose business to banks that decide to do otherwise?

This move must surely be to mitigate against the risk of loss to the bank from non-performing high value and income multiple mortgages.
        It's a good question. The Lloyds Banking Group is still partially state owned to the tune of 25% which may have something to do with it.

Comment

It's a good question. The Lloyds Banking Group is still partially state owned to the tune of 25% which may have something to do with it.
          Or... they are simply managing risk, rather than trying to control prices. Government policy via Help to Buy is intended to have the reverse effect, so I'm not convinced.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
            Or... they are simply managing risk, rather than trying to control prices. Government policy via Help to Buy is intended to have the reverse effect, so I'm not convinced.
            I think your right in that it is not about taking control of prices. The Lloyds Group is pretty huge as it includes Halifax, Scottish Widdows, Intelligent Finance, Bank of Scotland and C&G. I believe they have changed their policy to make sure they are not overly exposed when rates start to increase. especially as they are still partially state owned.

Comment

This was inevitable following Mark Carney's warning about the risks of a housing bubble.

In an interview with Sky News on 18th May, Carney said the number of lenders offering 4 x income or more to borrowers was creeping up, adding: "We don't want to build up another debt overhang that is going top hurt individuals and is going to very much slow the economy in the medium term.

Read on .... Mark Carney: Housing market has deep problems - Industry in depth - Mortgage Introducer UK

My take on this is that the Lloyds Group was pressured by the government, FSA & BoE to adopt this policy to take the heat off the booming house market in the South East and especially London. By getting the largest lender in the country to introduce this they're hoping the other lenders will follow, and I expect it is only a matter of time before they do. They're trying to restrict the borrowing on the larger loans over £500,000.

If this doesn't work the next change will be the Help to Buy policy.

Comment

How many mortgagues on on over £500k with income?

No wonder businesses are stuffed. I tried to buy a house in LLandudno to run as a hotel. 4% mortgage up to 90% no issue. Then found it had to be a business loan. 10% mortgage to 60% only. And three times profit from running the hotel - private income would not be taken into account.

Asia is taking over...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  How many mortgagues on on over £500k with income?
                  Can you clarify what you are asking?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think your right in that it is not about taking control of prices. The Lloyds Group is pretty huge as it includes Halifax, Scottish Widdows, Intelligent Finance, Bank of Scotland and C&G. I believe they have changed their policy to make sure they are not overly exposed when rates start to increase. especially as they are still partially state owned.
                    I think there's an oxymoron in there somewhere
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X