• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency trying to impose notice period that is not in my contract.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency trying to impose notice period that is not in my contract.

So my contract states 15 days motive but my agency are saying that the contract they have with the client has changed and it's now one month notice. I was never given an updated contract with this information. Surely I go by what I've signed for in my contract?

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
    So my contract states 15 days motive but my agency are saying that the contract they have with the client has changed and it's now one month notice. I was never given an updated contract with this information. Surely I go by what I've signed for in my contract?
    You have to give the agency 15 days' notice. The agency has to give the end client one month. Oh dear. You could always negotiate a rate for a 15 day piece of work to help the agency out if you don't have other plans.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

If your agency has screwed up it ain't your problem.

Your contract is with the agent.

So if you need to go give the notice in the contract and walk.

If you don't need to run then work with the agent to have a longer notice period i.e. you can agree to do 7 days more than the agent can pretend you are sick.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Unless you are going to leave it doesn't really matter.

Comment

I have a new job to go to so I need to start on a certain date which is before the one month notice but coincides with the 15 days

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
            I have a new job to go to so I need to start on a certain date which is before the one month notice but coincides with the 15 days
            Then give the 15 days' notice. I would have a quiet word with the client in case the agency tries to misrepresent your contractual position.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a story to squeeze out the last drop of commission and/or give the agent an extra couple of weeks to find someone else.

Make sure the client knows your contract is 15 days and the problem (if indeed it is a problem) is not of your making.

Comment

And you can use this thread as a placeholder for the inevitable "Agency refused to pay my last invoice" thread.

As others have said, your notice period is in your contract. It is 15 days. Give them 15 days notice.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                  Then give the 15 days' notice. I would have a quiet word with the client in case the agency tries to misrepresent your contractual position.
                  This.

Get your side of the story in first, and try to leave on the best possible terms.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

+1 for the advice others have given. Keep cordial at all times even while telling the agency to do one. That they let their contract and your contract have opposing terms is their look out, not yours. Be prepared for them to play silly buggers with your final invoice. Don't let them not pay you in full for your final timesheet-approved invoice. You've given notice as per your contractual terms. End of story.

Comment

Working...
                    X