• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You don't get something for nothing....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't get something for nothing....

or do you?

An interesting idea is that the universe could be spontaneously created from nothing, but no rigorous proof has been given. In this paper, we present such a proof based on the analytic solutions of the Wheeler-DeWitt equation (WDWE).
    [1404.1207] Spontaneous creation of the universe from nothing
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

1 + -1 = 0

Where do I pick up my Nobel prize?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      1 + -1 = 0

There is no Nobel prize for Mathematics. You need to turn penguin tulip into gold or something.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well thermodynamics is a zero sum game, so ok I'm buying.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

1 + -1 = 0

You can laugh, but that might not be so far from the truth!

Code:
          x_1 + x_2 + x_3 + .... + x_n = 0

x_1 x_2 x_3 ... x_n = 1
          is a Calabi-Yau manifold for any n > 1 (and so, among other things, a vacuum solution of the field equations of General Relativity)

Also, for n = 4 (a case I've spent quite a while studying for a purpose unrelated to physics) it has some other intriguing properties, including what look like symmetries under special conformal transformation groups.

Plus is has an obvious composition property, whereby one combine two such manifolds additively and multiplicatively for the respective equations to get a new pair of the same form.

It's a pig to work with though. For example, it took me _ages_ to prove the trivial-looking fact that
          Code:
          x + y + z + t = 0 and x y z t = 1
          is birationally equivalent to

Code:
          X + Y + Z = T and X Y Z T = 1
          (I think if it has any physical significance, the first pair may be remotely related to mass-energy and the second to spacetime, and this is a sort of "signature change" between the two.)
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 23 May 2014, 07:16.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

1 + -1 = 0

Except that we're not left over with 0, but 0.000...001.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Science has become the new religion. Asseting stuff that cannot be proved and is a matter of faith.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Science has become the new religion. Asseting stuff that cannot be proved and is a matter of faith.
                That is a problem with public perception of science, not science itself.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  You can laugh, but that might not be so far from the truth!

Code:
                  x_1 + x_2 + x_3 + .... + x_n = 0

x_1 x_2 x_3 ... x_n = 1
                  is a Calabi-Yau manifold for any n > 1 (and so, among other things, a vacuum solution of the field equations of General Relativity)

Also, for n = 4 (a case I've spent quite a while studying for a purpose unrelated to physics) it has some other intriguing properties, including what look like symmetries under special conformal transformation groups.

Plus is has an obvious composition property, whereby one combine two such manifolds additively and multiplicatively for the respective equations to get a new pair of the same form.

It's a pig to work with though. For example, it took me _ages_ to prove the trivial-looking fact that
                  Code:
                  x + y + z + t = 0 and x y z t = 1
                  is birationally equivalent to

Code:
                  X + Y + Z = T and X Y Z T = 1
                  (I think if it has any physical significance, the first pair may be remotely related to mass-energy and the second to spacetime, and this is a sort of "signature change" between the two.)
                  WHS

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    That is a problem with public perception of science, not science itself.
                    bollux. you think we are ever going to know how the universe started?

Its tough enough finding out how cuk started.

Comment

Working...
                    X