• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jazz Divas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jazz Divas

Who's your favourite one?

Maybe you don't like jazz. Its an acquired taste. Like folk music. I was about to say I can't bear folk music but then I just remembered I'm supposed to like Maggie Prior

So I'm back from the pub with Silas curled up on my lap watching the Jazz Divas programme on BBC4.

It's Blossom Dearie for me every time. Followed by Ella and maybe Cleo Line in 3rd place.
    Last edited by Gittins Gal; 23 May 2014, 22:16.

Po moyemu, Jazz is atonal, and whilst I like a bit of that when it segues into tonal, a la The Velvet Underground, 99% of Jazz is atonal garbage, fukn hate it!

Music has structure, chords resolve, D goes with G, F goes with C, jazz doesn't...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Po moyemu, Jazz is atonal, and whilst I like a bit of that when it segues into tonal
      Spoken like a true jazz aficionado...

Personally, I like it. Its suave, I like the vocals and I like what they're generally singing about.

I agree with the op. Folkies are always bellyaching in their songs. No wonder most folkies are lefties.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
        Spoken like a true jazz aficionado...

Personally, I like it. Its suave, I like the vocals and I like what they're generally singing about.

I agree with the op. Folkies are always bellyaching in their songs. No wonder most folkies are lefties.
        Yeah right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQYzpOHpik

Comment

Linda Lusardi.

Dodgy Agent.

Comment

Jazz is an arrangement

not a type of music

you bimbo
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

and it's maddy Prior

you double-bimbo
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                azz is atonal
                Rubbish. Jazz has it's roots in the blues. Granted most of the modern stuff is wanky as it's gone down the same "experiment for the sake of it and never mind if the result is aesthetically pleasing" route as modern art, but the good stuff from years ago is anything but atonal.

Nina Simone for me.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

A sockie and a master return in this thread.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    A sockie and a master return in this thread.
                    inneresting...

Comment

Working...
                    X