• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Credit Card recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Credit Card recommendations

Barclaycard are dropping their current Business credit card in October and locking me out of their new account (they are demanding 2 Directors for Ltds).

I'd appreciate any recommendations - another company can have my business immediately.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Not accepted everywhere (i.e. Maplin) but I use American Express Cashback Platunum, not sure if it is still available.

Comment

only one listed, but it is a cashback card, so worth a look:

Business Credit Cards - All The Best Company Credit Cards

Comment

HSBC and Lloyds have half decent ones,(VISA), but you need to hold your current account with them to apply for the Business Credit Card ( and for Lloyds you need to have held it for a year).

For info, the cashback card mentioned above has a couple of minimum application conditions:
        Must earn £20K plus per year ( as an individual, not the business)
        Must be a homeowner.

Didn't bother with one myself, use my own and expense it back to the company - is that an option for you ? Might be easier and you then have more options with some good intro offers out there.

HTH
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
          Not accepted everywhere (i.e. Maplin) but I use American Express Cashback Platunum, not sure if it is still available.
          I have the same here.

Although I had a letter the other day from Barclaycard saying that they a launching an Amex Cashback CC (1.5%) with a secondary Visa CC (0.5%) shortly which I may switch to using when my existing Barclaycard CC is replaced next month. These are personal CC BTW that I expense purchases back to the business - never found a business CC that provides good incentives for me to use them instead.

Comment

I find a business cc very useful for big company purchases like training and laptops, and I don't have to bother too much with P11D.

The training is particularly useful as I have a little more leeway with the type of training if the company pays for it.

But it looks as if I'll just have to go back to using my personal cc and expense it back to the company.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
              HSBC and Lloyds have half decent ones,(VISA), but you need to hold your current account with them to apply for the Business Credit Card ( and for Lloyds you need to have held it for a year).

For info, the cashback card mentioned above has a couple of minimum application conditions:
              Must earn £20K plus per year ( as an individual, not the business)
              Must be a homeowner.

Didn't bother with one myself, use my own and expense it back to the company - is that an option for you ? Might be easier and you then have more options with some good intro offers out there.

HTH
              WBS

I have an HSBC business card which was set up along with the current account. I don't use it though and with the £32 annual fee it isn't worth my while so i'm intending to ditch it. My preference is to use personal cards and expense back, keeping the cashback element for myself. I can see having one for equipment and training would be handy though to avoid P11D stuff.

I think the Santander cards offer good cashback deals at the moment. I use an AMEX one, which doesn't have the best rate any more and isn't accepted everywhere either due to their high merchant fees. The money saving expert site has a pro's and con's list of what's available.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                The training is particularly useful as I have a little more leeway with the type of training if the company pays for it.
                Interesting comment - if training is expensable, why does the source of the payment matter?

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                  only one listed, but it is a cashback card, so worth a look:

Business Credit Cards - All The Best Company Credit Cards
                  That's the one I got just over a month ago. Wasn't initially keen as to my mind Capital One is for people with crap credit.

My reason for wanting one was using Cater Allen for main business banking, and they have a 30 transactions/month limit for free banking. With a company credit card I could put all the little purchases on it, so from CA's perspective they all combine to just one payment a month. Plus gives the added security of it being a credit card over a debit card.

Admittedly haven't had it long, but not got a bad word to say about it yet. Don't care about APR as will clear balance in full each month. Not too fussed about cash back, that's just a bonus. Main thing I want is hassle free and ideally no charge. Also like the idea of being able to get another card for a secondary user, but appreciate that might not be of interest to most contractors.

Comment

My HSBC business credit card has a max limit of £2000.
                    The only way to increase this is to offer a personal guarantee from a director.
                    I use it for paying for google apps for business, my phone costs, apartment rentals, training and other expenditure. I find that I regularly hit the limit, but I can work around it by making more regular mini payments through online banking or through the hsbc app.
                    It costs £32 per year. Not bad.
                    Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Working...
                    X