• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New ltd company hmrc are out to get me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New ltd company hmrc are out to get me?

Let me get 1 thing straight. , I hate paperwork.

I used to be employed by an umbrella and my paperwork was minimum.

This tax year ( 8 April 14) I went ltd with a well known umbrella company

Since then I have had the following paperwork sent to me via hmrc

1 a new tax code "BR". Which I believe to be wrong

2 a self assessment form for 13/14 tax year , this confused me the most . Can hmrc ask me to complete this for last year ? And why ?
    It's just going to be the same as my p60

Are hmrc out to get me ? Or is this just standard practice ?

Any thoughts that can help put my mind at rest this bank hol weekend are welcome

Thanks

So much so I

Originally posted by andydis View Post
    Let me get 1 thing straight. , I hate paperwork.

I used to be employed by an umbrella and my paperwork was minimum.

This tax year ( 8 April 14) I went ltd with a well known umbrella company

Since then I have had the following paperwork sent to me via hmrc

1 a new tax code "BR". Which I believe to be wrong

2 a self assessment form for 13/14 tax year , this confused me the most . Can hmrc ask me to complete this for last year ? And why ?
    It's just going to be the same as my p60

Are hmrc out to get me ? Or is this just standard practice ?

Any thoughts that can help put my mind at rest this bank hol weekend are welcome

Thanks

So much so I
    I don't understand - how can go ltd 'with a well known umbrella company'??

You either work using a Ltd or you work for an Umbrella as an employee.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Sorry I mean I am ltd company

But I used my previous umbrella company todo my business admin .
      For example

They are now my accountant , , sort out my insurance , so my tax returns and vat returns, paye
      And formed my ltd company for me.

I hope this clarifies the situation .

Going back to my original question
      Can hmrc issue me with a tax return for last year ? And why would they change my tax code to br ?

Comment

Having a BR code is normal, it just means HMRC haven't caught up with your change on job. Call them and they will correct it.

There are many reasons for requesting a tax return, such as having employment income over £100k. If you're not sure why, call them and ask them.

To be honest these are two really simple issues, nothing compared to the fun & games involved in an investigation, and are in no way a reflection of HMRC being out to get you.

If you're frightened by these types of things then make sure you have an accountant you can trust, and look into PCG membership and insurances.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I don't understand - how can go ltd 'with a well known umbrella company'??

You either work using a Ltd or you work for an Umbrella as an employee.
          I think some umbrella companies offer other services, such as registering a Ltd and accounting services too, although it sounds like the OP doesn't have an accountant (and needs one urgently).

Comment

You have just started a business for which I assume you are a director? Were you a high rate tax payer last year?

Directors, and high rate tax payers have to fill in tax returns, even if all their tax has already been collected.

Comment

Originally posted by andydis View Post
              But I used my previous umbrella company todo my business admin .
              For example

They are now my accountant , , sort out my insurance , so my tax returns and vat returns, paye
              You might want to read up on the MSC legislation if they are doing your admin like insurance.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

WTFS - you really need to be careful here - there are certain things that an accountant can do for you that are accepted and reasonable - if they do more then they run the risk of falling foul of the MSC legislation which will then have an impact on you.

Also I do wonder why, if you hate paperwork, you didn't stay with the umbrella co?
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                X