• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Butterflies in my Garden

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butterflies in my Garden

For the past few years I've been labouring under the impression that our rich array of butterfly and moth fauna has been on the wane and there's no end of literature to support this rather depressing phenomenon. But so far this year, I've actually noticed an abundant, diverse selection of winged colour flitting around in the back garden - and very happy it's making me too. I don't know about you, but on a warm sunny day, nothing warms the cockles of my heart more than seeing the butterflies performing their aerial dances and the buzzing bees going about their business.

Earlier I saw a comma.
    I thought maybe this was quite a rare butterfly, perhaps because it has a somewhat exotic appearance with its exquisite scalloped wings but they are, in fact, reasonably common. At least in the south of England.

There were a couple of these out there earlier too:

A much smaller butterfly than the comma but very distinctive with the orange tipped wings from which it gets its name, the orange tip.

We have a huge buddleia at the bottom of the garden and butterflies love buddleia so I'm hoping that it will draw in clouds of butterflies later on in the summer when it's in full bloom.

One particular species of moth for which I have a soft spot is the cinnabar moth

We used to take walks on a disused railway when I was a gal growing up near Bath (the old Slow and Dirty) and there used to be clouds of cinnabar moths. Apparently they are fond of ragwort and there was always a profusion of this plant growing along the old railway. I don't see them at all these days - it's not for a lack of ragwort, of that I am sure, as I spend hours every summer grubbing out ragwort from the field where I keep my pony.

And something else I saw the other night down in my woodland loggia that announced its arrival by a very low pitched humming accompoanied by several hard pinging sounds as it ricocheted off various surfaces as it buzzed around my room. Yes, a May bug, otherwise known as a cockchafer. Haven't seen one of those for ages either but I think they are found of the woodland environment in which my loggia is located. I'm sure I'll be encountering some pretty impressive stag beetles down there too later in the year so I'll definitely have my goggles on if I'm out on my bicycle of an evening.

Wonder if I'll get to see any glow worms or fire flies down there? That would be quite awesome.

Any of you seen any inneresting insect life so far this spring?

"Earlier I saw a comma."

I think you will find that was a full stop!

I saw many a cock chafer in my younger years but alas they seemed to have waned as I got older.

Comment

Yeeh! GG's back. Let stalking commence!

Think these things are quite localised. Sparrows are supposed to be on the decline but, if that's so, I must have half the UK population in my garden. Rarely seen a stag beetle either but place I once lived in Bromley, South London, there were plenty.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 24 May 2014, 20:53.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Bats in the belfry more like.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Doggy Styles, you really do need medical help. Go get some before this all goes out of control.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            Doggy Styles, you really do need medical help. Go get some before this all goes out of control.
            I think you'd find that I am not the alter ego of GG. Nevertheless, I admit I find the erroneous conclusions recently drawn by you and one or two others to be vaguely amusing!

It's clear that I sometimes enjoy discourse with GG (hi GG! ) but I'm not the only one and, from where I am currently sitting, I don't know whether she is a real individual, a sockie, a bot, or God sending me subliminal commands!

Hmm. Actually I wouldn't be too comfortable with the subliminal commands one.

Comment

I see the occasional cockchafer, but whenever I do, they seem to be trapped on their backs waving their legs in the air.

Obviously I assist the little chaps by righting them, but it makes me wonder, are they eventually able to do it themselves? The ones I find don't look as if they could.

Comment

Welcome back GG!

Inneresting post

Comment

Saw a cinnabar moth the other week by the canal walking the dog. The red bits caught my eye so had to look it up. A rare daylight moth it would seem.

Also found a cock chafer beetle outside the house barely moving, was unsure what it was until this thread.

From my observations I seem to notice an abundance of magpies wherever I go.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

One for sorrow,
                    Two for joy,
                    Three for a girl and four for a boy,
                    Five for silver,
                    Six for gold,
                    Seven for a secret never to be told.

Cue the Spencer Davis Group:

http://youtu.be/yDNoSi1vbE0
                    Last edited by Gittins Gal; 25 May 2014, 20:00.

Comment

Working...
                    X