• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If we can do this...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we can do this...

BBC News - UK looks to boost fracking with new land access rules

Then why can't we build more fracking houses?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

We don't need more houses. Just less immigration.

Though that would stop the current mirage of economic growth - silly me.

We should just concrete over the whole country - then when that is done build high rises on the whole lot.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Though that would stop the current mirage of economic growth - silly me.
      In which case we need productivity growth, which needs investment in education and technology.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Nope

Comment

Lower taxes, remove regulation & abolish nmw and productivity will grow through the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            Lower taxes, remove regulation & abolish nmw and productivity will grow through the roof.
            There is actually no historical evidence that lowering taxes increases productivity. Here is some data from the US:

10 Tax Questions the Candidates Don't Want You to Ask - #5: Relationship Between Tax Rates and Productivity

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              BBC News - UK looks to boost fracking with new land access rules

Then why can't we build more fracking houses?
              They are. At least they're trying to but in such a quota/targets driven manner that it is all being done in a very insensitive manner and they are rightly facing opposition.

Let me state, first of all, that I am coming from a rural perspective here.

Now, I've never opposed small scale developments in villages as they should, in theory ( and the developers always sell it such), provide homes for local people.

What happens generally is that all the sticks in the mud throw their arms in the air and the planning application gets thrown out. I've never opposed any of the (well, 2) such applications we've had locally over the years.

The situation now is that Barratt Homes has put in an application to build 100 houses on a greenfield site in the village up the road (pop. 800) thus increasing the population by 30%.

And this time I'm dead against it. The development would be totally disproportionate, place pressure on an almost non existent local infrastructure (1 shop, 1 pub, 1 primary school) and create an imbalance in village life. Dare I say also that a development this size would also be required to provide social housing too.

So the whole thing is a total mess, targets driven and I get the feeling that higher authorities are, once again, going to ride roughshod over the wishes of local people just as they do with wind farms.

Is there an EU angle to this? Hmmm.. will have to do some research. Certainly the UK was divided into planning regions by the EU and each region assigned a target for number of houses built over a given time. This was all administered by the Office of the Fat Bastard when labour were in power. This no longer exists so I've no idea who's responsible for the shambles now.

But, as BP says - with a net influx from migration of 200k + , where are we to put them all? We just don't have the resources. Stop (or cut it drastically) now!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                There is actually no historical evidence that lowering taxes increases productivity. Here is some data from the US:

10 Tax Questions the Candidates Don't Want You to Ask - #5: Relationship Between Tax Rates and Productivity
                is that apples or oranges you are comparing there?

in 1951 offshoring your income was something only the top 0.1% could do. now the top 20% can do it with ease. Some of them get caught but most manage it.

Also in 1951 the vast majority of large companies had armies of workers doing manual work which is really what they are talking about as productivity, the profit was mainly made in country. We don't make anything in 'first world countries' and when we sell it only enough profit is made in the high tax country to cover costs.

Productivity as used here refers to the amount produced by the private workforce for each hour worked.
                what you see is a reaction to global tax planning and change of employment practices.

Pretty much every Global company I have worked with since the 90s has made most of its profit outside the UK or US.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post

But, as BP says - with a net influx from migration of 200k + , where are we to put them all? We just don't have the resources. Stop (or cut it drastically) now!
                  they have a habit of producing more kids, they are creating two new secondary schools in Slough to keep up with demand. 4 or so primary / middle schools have opened as well.

As most companies are making more with less people in the UK (I have been to so many large sites built in the 50s-80s that are nearly empty) so not sure what all these new people going to do.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    is that apples or oranges you are comparing there?

in 1951 offshoring your income was something only the top 0.1% could do. now the top 20% can do it with ease. Some of them get caught but most manage it.

Also in 1951 the vast majority of large companies had armies of workers doing manual work which is really what they are talking about as productivity, the profit was mainly made in country. We don't make anything in 'first world countries' and when we sell it only enough profit is made in the high tax country to cover costs.

what you see is a reaction to global tax planning and change of employment practices.

Pretty much every Global company I have worked with since the 90s has made most of its profit outside the UK or US.
                    So, basically, as the link says there are a lot of other factors in play other than the local tax rate which makes little difference in the grand scheme of things. Ergo tax rates make little difference to productivity.

We actually make loads of stuff "in country" BTW, It's just not the sort of stuff you see in tesco. Most of it is very high value add stuff like top end recording studio & broadcast equipment, advanced weapons systems, spacecraft and so on.

Comment

Working...
                    X