• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More sense from Polly Toynbee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More sense from Polly Toynbee

I don't know why (as a righty) I am supposed to hate this lady as she makes so much sense:

What is needed is socially and religiously integrated education. All children should be taught religious education,
    learning about all religions. But what serious programme of sex education or prevention of homophobic bullying can
    there be in schools where most teachers adhere to ancient texts that punish gays? It's hard to complain of some of
    the teachings in the Qur'an when Gove sends a Bible to every school, filled with the most extreme and bizarre
    prohibitions.

Who knows how these investigations will navigate the thicket of acceptable versus unacceptable religious teaching. But this saga makes the BHA's pleas for broad secular education for all children all the more pressing. Wide horizons that open minds to all ideas and beliefs should be the state's goal, liberating all children from the prejudices of their own backgrounds. To put Muslim children or those from other religious groups into a separate category that overly respects their parents' views is to limit their horizons and deny them true equality.
    The Muslim 'Trojan Horse' schools frenzy hides a need for integration | Polly Toynbee | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Quite. Society has advanced in many ways (not nearly far enough admittedly) towards a rational society, democracy, equality of the sexes, freedom of choice as long as it does not unduly impact others, is it time to start giving the boot to the greatest millstone around the neck of humanity, religion?

People should also have freedom of choice to follow their religious beliefs and to teach them to their children but that does not mean specific religious faiths, funded by all taxpayers, should be taught by schools.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

No to paying for state funding of religious schools!!

I have religious family members and they insist on sending their kids to secular state schools.

In fact the ones who went the Church schools were the ones who "found God" to get into a supposedly good school.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      No to paying for state funding of religious schools!!

I have religious family members and they insist on sending their kids to secular state schools.

In fact the ones who went the Church schools were the ones who "found God" to get into a supposedly good school.
      yes, lets run the country based on the experiences of you and your family.

Comment

This is still a Christian country founded and Christian beliefs, morals and values. Those that come here should make the effort to integrate. They can have whatever faith they want in their own time - as long as they keep it too yourself.

We should be as tolerant towards Muslims as Saudi is towards Christians. Its their country and they can do as they want.

I have only ever read one sensible article from Polly - where she despised inherited wealth. A fine example of Thatcher values where those who work hard earn the rewards from it. Values sadly lacking in the LabTory one party system.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          yes, lets run the country based on the experiences of you and your family.
          Gove runs the Department of Education like that so I think you are on to something.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            This is still a Christian country founded and Christian beliefs, morals and values. Those that come here should make the effort to integrate. They can have whatever faith they want in their own time - as long as they keep it too yourself.
            Actually the country's religions was historical based on religions on what we now call "pagan" Christianity was brought over by some bloody immigrants possibly Roman ones.

We should be as tolerant towards Muslims as Saudi is towards Christians. Its their country and they can do as they want.
            The vast majority of our Muslim population aren't from Saudi and a fact a few are home grown like this one

I have only ever read one sensible article from Polly - where she despised inherited wealth. A fine example of Thatcher values where those who work hard earn the rewards from it. Values sadly lacking in the LabTory one party system.
            If you have a well-known parent/grandparent you don't need inherited wealth if you kind of follow in their footsteps...........

Comment

Perhaps we need something like this over here:

Home - Freedom From Religion Foundation
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Religious teaching is not the issue, the problem is you have a particular whackjob religion with whackjob followers and people are too scared, or to liberal, to get in their way and stop that one religion having schools. "

Comment

But what serious programme of sex education or prevention of homophobic bullying can
                  there be in schools where most teachers adhere to ancient texts that punish gays
                  Bollocks. Most teachers are like most of the UK society - viewing religion and the bible as irrelevant.

The argument about teaching all religions is equally testicular. The Bible had a huge effect on Western civilisation - some positive, some negative. The Koran has had some effect, but nothing like as much. Since the heritage of the UK is essentially Christian based since the bloody immigrants arrived displacing native religion, it makes sense that teaching about Christianity and the Bible should be given more weight than teaching about other faiths and other texts.

Or should the history of Pakistan be given equal space in the syllabus as the history of Britain?

Polly Filler has not deviated from her track record of spouting nonsense.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'd like to see less lefty teaching in the profession, some of them are like bad Fred Kite caricatures.

I'm all for religious schools but they need very careful management as they seem to attract nutters and peados.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X