• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cat6 or Wireless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat6 or Wireless

Hi All,

Getting a lot of work done on Admin towers at the minute with a new extension and the whole house being rewired. Should I go wireless and not worry about it or should I look to get Cat6 stuck in every room while the floorboards etc are up?

Cheers,

Admin

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Hi All,

Getting a lot of work done on Admin towers at the minute with a new extension and the whole house being rewired. Should I go wireless and not worry about it or should I look to get Cat6 stuck in every room while the floorboards etc are up?

Cheers,

Admin
    Given the opportunity I'd run the wires in and have wireless AP's in each room wired back to the main router to guarentee signal. Also means you can plug in kit without wireless capability or where it's not always reliable such as printers etc.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Given the opportunity I'd run the wires in and have wireless AP's in each room wired back to the main router to guarentee signal. Also means you can plug in kit without wireless capability or where it's not always reliable such as printers etc.
      This.

For the cost / benefit, I'd have a wired socket in every room I could stick one in.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I am slowly moving towards hard wire other WiFi, I am using Homeplugs but if I had the opportunity to add CAT6 then I would do that
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I got Cat 6 throughout the household. That way I can charge guests for premium internet access!

Serious point being they can have 120Mbps (soon to be 150Mbps) internet access.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Cost me £3k in 2002 (all through business). YMMV.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

A few years ago I rewired a good bit of my house with Cat6 cabling while the wife was away for the weekend at a spa. Worth every bit of the hassle. The only thing that's annoying is that I was lazy and didn't want to run a cable to behind the bedroom telly, maybe next time I can be bothered and the wife's away.

Comment

2 sockets minimum each room. Plenty behind the telly and computer.

Cost is peanuts, with POE becoming common it makes sense as the IOT marches on. Saves on lots of power adapters. Lots of things can be pushed over cat5/6 to save cables across the room.

Soon we will have hundreds of devices in the house talking to each other, wireless just doesn't cope well with lots of misbehaving clients.

`
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Cheers all - I thought cat65 might be the way to go... £3k is way out of my league though!! I know cable isn't cheap but am hoping I can do a lot of it myself while the electrician is doing his thing. Never done anything like that before - is it daft of me to attempt this myself? As far as I can see I would need a wall plate for each connection, a reel of cable (100m for £50), a wall plate or two for each room and all the cables leading back to the location where I intend to have the master socket...

Feck me - some 10m cables here cheaper than the cost per metre for cable:
                  Xenta Cat6 Snagless UTP Patch Cable (Red) 10m | Ebuyer.com

Might grab 10 of those as should be able to do all the downstairs and half of up with those ones...

Comment

It shouldn't cost anything like £3k if you're having stuff done... anywhere he is laying cables he can add a network cable at the same time in moments.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X