• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client says my memory is poor, and I'm too slow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client says my memory is poor, and I'm too slow

I've been at my current client for 12 months, and working on a project under a new-to-the-company project manager for the past three. He told me today that I was working too slow, and that my memory was poor, such that he had to remind me of what had been discussed. He said if I didn't improve I'd be out.

I have to say this is the first direct attack on my working abilities for many years. That is not to say that I am not and was not as bad as he implies in recent contracts (my average contract length is around 9 months, which I think is quite a short period of time). It's just that clients normally end the contract rather than criticize the contractor, in my experience.
    He does have a point though - for some reason my work output is down, the project is rather dull and uninspiring, and my web usage at the client site is quite high.

Any thoughts on this?

I appreciate, though, that posting this in General means I'll be copping plenty of abuse. So bring it on

Do any of you know anything about the science of motivation, and whether you can take steps to improve it yourself? Or is it best to get out.

Thanks!

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I've been at my current client for 12 months, and working on a project under a new-to-the-company project manager for the past three. He told me today that I was working too slow, and that my memory was poor, such that he had to remind me of what had been discussed. He said if I didn't improve I'd be out.

I have to say this is the first direct attack on my working abilities for many years. That is not to say that I am not and was not as bad as he implies in recent contracts (my average contract length is around 9 months, which I think is quite a short period of time). It's just that clients normally end the contract rather than criticize the contractor, in my experience.
    He does have a point though - for some reason my work output is down, the project is rather dull and uninspiring, and my web usage at the client site is quite high.

Any thoughts on this?

I appreciate, though, that posting this in General means I'll be copping plenty of abuse. So bring it on

Do any of you know anything about the science of motivation, and whether you can take steps to improve it yourself? Or is it best to get out.

Thanks!
    Which party did you stand for in the elections?
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

We still love you.

Comment

Try the following:

1. Get your tulip together you lazy twat.

2. MTFU and get your work done.

There you go. Simples.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

we discussed this with you before, have you forgot
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I tend to reach this point when I've been doing the same thing in the same place for too long - I always leave before people actually notice that I've got bored, though. The problem is, the longer it goes on, the harder it is to motivate yourself to do anything, even when it's to your detriment.

I'm from permie world, though - so this is normally after 2 - 3 years.

Comment

Sounds like he wants to replace you with an EU immigrant

What sort of hours are you working? When did you last have a holiday?
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                Do any of you know anything about the science of motivation, ...

Yes, all four letters of the Giant Compendium of Motivation and Gumption. MTFU!
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  we discussed this with you before, have you forgot
                  har har har

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Sounds like he wants to replace you with an EU immigrant
                  That would be karma, I guess

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  I tend to reach this point when I've been doing the same thing in the same place for too long - I always leave before people actually notice that I've got bored, though. The problem is, the longer it goes on, the harder it is to motivate yourself to do anything, even when it's to your detriment.

I'm from permie world, though - so this is normally after 2 - 3 years.
                  Well I could just leave, I guess. And I can afford to. But I just feel like a lazy beggar for bailing out of what is, on the face of it, a nice and easy contract. If other people can "hack" working 8*5*42 weeks/year without getting demotivated, why can't I?

Comment

I don't remember ever being told I have a poor memory.

Comment

Working...
                    X