PDA

View Full Version : Client says my memory is poor, and I'm too slow

KentPhilip
27th May 2014, 19:50
I've been at my current client for 12 months, and working on a project under a new-to-the-company project manager for the past three. He told me today that I was working too slow, and that my memory was poor, such that he had to remind me of what had been discussed. He said if I didn't improve I'd be out. :frown

I have to say this is the first direct attack on my working abilities for many years. That is not to say that I am not and was not as bad as he implies in recent contracts (my average contract length is around 9 months, which I think is quite a short period of time). It's just that clients normally end the contract rather than criticize the contractor, in my experience.
He does have a point though - for some reason my work output is down, the project is rather dull and uninspiring, and my web usage at the client site is quite high.

Any thoughts on this?

I appreciate, though, that posting this in General means I'll be copping plenty of abuse. So bring it on :happy

Do any of you know anything about the science of motivation, and whether you can take steps to improve it yourself? Or is it best to get out.

Thanks!

speling bee
27th May 2014, 19:53
I've been at my current client for 12 months, and working on a project under a new-to-the-company project manager for the past three. He told me today that I was working too slow, and that my memory was poor, such that he had to remind me of what had been discussed. He said if I didn't improve I'd be out. :frown

I have to say this is the first direct attack on my working abilities for many years. That is not to say that I am not and was not as bad as he implies in recent contracts (my average contract length is around 9 months, which I think is quite a short period of time). It's just that clients normally end the contract rather than criticize the contractor, in my experience.
He does have a point though - for some reason my work output is down, the project is rather dull and uninspiring, and my web usage at the client site is quite high.

Any thoughts on this?

I appreciate, though, that posting this in General means I'll be copping plenty of abuse. So bring it on :happy

Do any of you know anything about the science of motivation, and whether you can take steps to improve it yourself? Or is it best to get out.

Thanks!

Which party did you stand for in the elections?

mudskipper
27th May 2014, 20:00
:hug:

We still love you.

TestMangler
27th May 2014, 20:02
Try the following:

1. Get your shit together you lazy twat.

2. MTFU and get your work done.

There you go. Simples.

EternalOptimist
27th May 2014, 20:03
we discussed this with you before, have you forgot

vwdan
27th May 2014, 20:08
I tend to reach this point when I've been doing the same thing in the same place for too long - I always leave before people actually notice that I've got bored, though. The problem is, the longer it goes on, the harder it is to motivate yourself to do anything, even when it's to your detriment.

I'm from permie world, though - so this is normally after 2 - 3 years.

doodab
27th May 2014, 20:11
Sounds like he wants to replace you with an EU immigrant :laugh

What sort of hours are you working? When did you last have a holiday?

Mich the Tester
27th May 2014, 20:21
Do any of you know anything about the science of motivation, ...

Yes, all four letters of the Giant Compendium of Motivation and Gumption. MTFU!

KentPhilip
27th May 2014, 20:28
we discussed this with you before, have you forgot

har har har :smile

Sounds like he wants to replace you with an EU immigrant :laugh

That would be karma, I guess :)

I tend to reach this point when I've been doing the same thing in the same place for too long - I always leave before people actually notice that I've got bored, though. The problem is, the longer it goes on, the harder it is to motivate yourself to do anything, even when it's to your detriment.

I'm from permie world, though - so this is normally after 2 - 3 years.

Well I could just leave, I guess. And I can afford to. But I just feel like a lazy beggar for bailing out of what is, on the face of it, a nice and easy contract. If other people can "hack" working 8*5*42 weeks/year without getting demotivated, why can't I?

stek
27th May 2014, 20:28
I don't remember ever being told I have a poor memory.

CheeseSlice
27th May 2014, 20:31
Next contract you need to go for something a bit more challenging. Do something in your skill area but a bit more senior or requiring one main skill you will need to learn fast. I do this to progress myself and increase my day rate.

Or just MTFU and JDYFJ you time wasting whining attention seeker.

Mich the Tester
27th May 2014, 20:32
I don't remember ever being told I have a poor memory.

I don´t remember you ever telling me I have a poor memory either.

stek
27th May 2014, 20:33
I don´t remember you ever telling me I have a poor memory either.

Can't remember what I was gonna put now...

vetran
27th May 2014, 20:41
have you got a poor memory or has he got a selective memory? i.e. he remembers he told you but actually didn't?

Make a daily list of what you need to do and do it, send him a copy of what you did. If you forget something he has 24 hours to tell you (don't tell him that though).

the process of doing the list will focus you, and the copy will impress / annoy him.

get another job.

EternalOptimist
27th May 2014, 20:43
always, always, write things down

then try to remember where youse wrote them

Mich the Tester
27th May 2014, 20:44
have you got a poor memory or has he got a selective memory? i.e. he remembers he told you but actually didn't?

Make a daily list of what you need to do and do it, send him a copy of what you did. If you forget something he has 24 hours to tell you (don't tell him that though).

the process of doing the list will focus you, and the copy will impress / annoy him.

get another job.

Post too long FFS, how do you expect him to remember the first bit if you go on for that long?

KentPhilip
27th May 2014, 20:51
Post too long FFS, how do you expect him to remember the first bit if you go on for that long?

Good point MTT.
Now what did you say in your last post?

KentPhilip
27th May 2014, 20:54
Next contract you need to go for something a bit more challenging. Do something in your skill area but a bit more senior or requiring one main skill you will need to learn fast. I do this to progress myself and increase my day rate.

Or just MTFU and JDYFJ you time wasting whining attention seeker.

You're the voice of my conscience. It is true that I have been coasting along a bit. Need to challenge myself more. Or implement self-induced terror..

Mich the Tester
27th May 2014, 20:56
You're the voice of my conscience. It is true that I have been coasting along a bit. Need to challenge myself more. Or implement self-induced terror..

Could you please try to make the fourth sentence at least slightly related to the first one?

scooterscot
27th May 2014, 21:07
If you can afford to leave you should really push the envelope and see what it would actually take to get fired.

Require viewing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IwzZYRejZQ

mudskipper
27th May 2014, 21:23
I suggest alcohol. It makes you care less that you care less.

CheeseSlice
27th May 2014, 21:25

So instead of changing tapes next time, go for tape changer team lead, or NetBackUp server administrator

Zippy
27th May 2014, 21:47
Try the following:

1. Get your :shit: together you lazy twat.

2. MTFU and get your work done.

There you go. Simples.

WHS. If you can't be arsed, stop taking the money

EternalOptimist
27th May 2014, 21:51

harsh, yet fair. in a 21st century type of way

Flashman
27th May 2014, 21:53

If you can't be arsed, go permie.

If you really can't be arsed, go Civil Service.

Uncle Albert
27th May 2014, 22:15
Are you sure you're cut out to be a contractor?

With a bit of planning you can make sure that you'll still be needed on-site when the receivers arrive to dismantle the remains of the once successful company that hired you.

You don't need speed or memory, you just need to know where the skeletons are. :smokin

MarillionFan
27th May 2014, 22:26
Write shit down.

I recently fired a guy who after one year would still not turn up to a meeting with a notepad. At a push he'd turn up with a post it note and scribble something down. No matter what he was asked to do, he'd forget it. That's the idea of taking notes, your actions etc. He was such a ******* headache because I had to constantly give him a task list to finish and even then he'd **** it up because he couldn't prioritize it.

It never fails to amaze me how thick people are.

KentPhilip
27th May 2014, 22:33
Are you sure you're cut out to be a contractor?

With a bit of planning you can make sure that you'll still be needed on-site when the receivers arrive to dismantle the remains of the once successful company that hired you.

You don't need speed or memory, you just need to know where the skeletons are. :smokin

:rollin:

Write tulip down.

I do, mostly. I keep a todo list listing details of current tasks.
Trouble is they have these daily "stand-up" meetings first thing, and when I get in my recall of what I am working on is normally OK, but never perfect.
And sods law means that the one thing the PM says to me in passing one afternoon doesn't go into the list, and he'll refer to it two days later...

d000hg
27th May 2014, 23:29
If other people can "hack" working 8*5*42 weeks/year without getting demotivated, why can't I?I don't think most of them do, one reason permies have a bad name is many/most are bored and just trudging along rather than constantly being <12 months into a project like most contractors.

doodab
28th May 2014, 00:27

Trouble is they have these daily "stand-up" meetings first thing, and when I get in my recall of what I am working on is normally OK, but never perfect.
And sods law means that the one thing the PM says to me in passing one afternoon doesn't go into the list, and he'll refer to it two days later...

The secret is to start work early enough that by the time the stand up starts you've been working on what you are working on for a little while so it's fresh in your mind.

sbakoola
28th May 2014, 01:10
Bring in a set of unsorted cards put 12 down on the table in front of the boss, photograph them with your phone camera put them back in the pack, re-shuffle the pack and say to him "now find the cards in the pack and place them down in the same order that I presented them to you" ... and immediately and irritatingly say things like .. "too slow... ... your output is not good enough and poor memory" .. as you watch him falter.

vetran
28th May 2014, 08:27

don't accept things in passing. say "that's a good point, can you send me a task / email with that in?". - you know what my memory is like:o.

MicrosoftBob
28th May 2014, 08:41
Write an app to calculate how much money you're making during every tulip and try and aim for the longest tulip ever

That should be enough motivation for a while

Platypus
28th May 2014, 09:20
always, always, write things down

then try to remember where youse wrote them

^ this

Get a notebook so that it's easy to remember where you wrote them.

pjclarke
28th May 2014, 09:23
Dang, why did I come in here?

Platypus
28th May 2014, 09:26
Record the stand-up with your smart phone?

wonderboy
28th May 2014, 09:36
He told me today that I was working too slow, and that my memory was poor, such that he had to remind me of what had been discussed. He said if I didn't improve I'd be out. :frown

I sympathise because this guy is clearly not competent. A competent leader would never speak to you like this - it is unnecessary and counter productive. That said, I am not surprised, given that leadership positions are awarded not on merit but length of service, smooth talking or more typically, because the individual lacks the ability to actually do the job itself (i.e. being in a position of management is an actual filter for manipulative incompetence).

These people are at their nastiest when they feel out of their depth and they are flailing around issuing "random" commands and comments, thinking mainly about power plays and concealing their incompetence with little thought as to the impact on subordinates. Given this guy is new to the job, that might apply here.

Google for Michael O'Church's blog for some reading material to make yourself feel better.

I would look for a way to remove myself from the toxic manager, but failing that I'd ostensibly toe the line and quietly subvert.

Mich the Tester
28th May 2014, 10:53
I sympathise because this guy is clearly not competent. A competent leader would never speak to you like this - it is unnecessary and counter productive. That said, I am not surprised, given that leadership positions are awarded not on merit but length of service, smooth talking or more typically, because the individual lacks the ability to actually do the job itself (i.e. being in a position of management is an actual filter for manipulative incompetence).

These people are at their nastiest when they feel out of their depth and they are flailing around issuing "random" commands and comments, thinking mainly about power plays and concealing their incompetence with little thought as to the impact on subordinates. Given this guy is new to the job, that might apply here.

Google for Michael O'Church's blog for some reading material to make yourself feel better.

I would look for a way to remove myself from the toxic manager, but failing that I'd ostensibly toe the line and quietly subvert.

WHS * 1000

doodab
28th May 2014, 10:55
Get a notebook so that it's easy to remember where you wrote them.

Leuchtterm or the Oxford International ringbound ones are my favourites. Staples do some nice modular ones with movable dividers and refills of different kinds of paper in, they are good but they weigh a ton.

One note is good as well and integrates with outlook. You can use it online so no need to install.

original PM
28th May 2014, 11:08

don't accept things in passing. say "that's a good point, can you send me a task / email with that in?". - you know what my memory is like:o.

60-80% of a PM's job is communication - and that does not mean mentioning things in passing.

If you want to communicate you do it in writing making your requirements clear and concise so as to leave no room for ambiguity.

So yes as other people have said you have a ***** wit whose sole interest is making other people look bad so he looks good.

He has already made you question your abilities --- how long have you been contracting for?

But also if you are bored and cba just go get another contract.

ZARDOZ
28th May 2014, 11:09

I have to say this is the first direct attack on my working abilities for many years.
Thanks!

I think the answer lies within the fact that he's new. He's looking to impress and probably thinks culling some contractors will impress. No doubt you are not one of the cheapest. Seen it before, he will get rid of all the expensive and experienced contractors, look good for a couple of months, then it will go tits up when there is some problem with the projects and nobody with any experience to sort it.

alluvial
28th May 2014, 11:54
Leuchtterm or the Oxford International ringbound ones are my favourites. Staples do some nice modular ones with movable dividers and refills of different kinds of paper in, they are good but they weigh a ton.

One note is good as well and integrates with outlook. You can use it online so no need to install.

Asda do some good notebooks. I always make sure I have one with me for note taking, as I too have a poor memory.

And for when I forget it, I have a Samsung Note 3 that is really good for note taking, and I never forget that (although I may forget to charge it).

Mich the Tester
28th May 2014, 13:31
60-80% of a PM's job is communication - and that does not mean mentioning things in passing.

If you want to communicate you do it in writing making your requirements clear and concise so as to leave no room for ambiguity.

Indeed. Someone who delegates has to understand that by asking somebody else to do something it will be done differently to the way he would do it himself. If he can't accept that then he should do it himself, and probably isn't really unsuited to leading.

quackhandle
28th May 2014, 14:30
Is this guy giving you grief one of those manager types who expects people to brown nose him? I've worked with people like that, they come over (oo-er) all aggressive if they don't get the pandering and sycophantic neediness they need to function in life.

New to the company? So he'll still be on probationary period? :wink

Go above his head and report him for what he said or some minor misdemeanor. If he gets aggressive just smile and shake your head and carry on, these types hate that.

Or smack him one in the carpark. :fight:

At the very least it will make the gig a tad more interesting. For a bit.

qh

Gittins Gal
28th May 2014, 15:47

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Hmmm... inneresting.

At least you'll never become a permie-tractor on the never ending virtual hamster wheel.

BrilloPad
28th May 2014, 17:08
my web usage at the client site is quite high.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks!

He dares to deny you time on cuk? What a moron.

Try to take it as feedback rather than criticism.

d000hg
28th May 2014, 17:57
Blimey, you lot must REALLY have bees in your bonnets about PMs to side with KP :)

KentPhilip
28th May 2014, 20:09
Blimey, you lot must REALLY have bees in your bonnets about PMs to side with KP :)

And there was me thinking I was popular :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least mudskipper loves me. And my mum.
And Brillopad :happy

KentPhilip
28th May 2014, 20:13
Try to take it as feedback rather than criticism.

That's my intention yes.

I had a better more productive day today. And the recalcitrant PM made no further mention of the subject. So I guess I'll survive for now :happy

Thanks for all your feedback and wit.

..Now I just need a new logo, as the elections are over, and UKIP has been up there for long enough. Decisions decisions...

lukemg
29th May 2014, 08:46
To be honest, you do sound a bit shite workwise. I struggle to care myself but always try to cover my back when there are actions allocated.
Doesn't always work, I heard through a mate that when I worked with him, the boss's assessment of me was - great lad, gets on with everyone but does tend to do the bare minimum at best....
Stunningly accurate assessment !

eek
29th May 2014, 08:47
To be honest, you do sound a bit tulipe workwise. I struggle to care myself but always try to cover my back when there are actions allocated.
Doesn't always work, I heard through a mate that when I worked with him, the boss's assessment of me was - great lad, gets on with everyone but does tend to do the bare minimum at best....
Stunningly accurate assessment !

Well done that man.....

oscarose
29th May 2014, 08:50

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

:violin:

SunnyInHades
29th May 2014, 21:24
http://dopevapor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/redbull.jpg

Taking this for the first time has an immediate effect.
Only consume occasionally !