• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The housing boom isn't a deep problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The housing boom isn't a deep problem?

The housing boom isn

George Osborne has been under increasing pressure to review the Help to Buy scheme, as it has been branded as the catalyst for a ‘housing bubble’. But we really hope that the chancellor does not bow under pressure, as Help to Buy is proving to be of huge benefit to contractors throughout the country, and particularly outside London. Of some 14,823 applicants who have used the equity loan arm of the scheme, 77% of these people lived outside London and the South East. This dispels the myth that the scheme is fuelling the London housing bubble because clearly other regions of the country are seeing the most benefit.
    Surely it's telling us that other parts of the country are being propped up more than London is then? And that an awful lot of people outside of London need help to afford a house. Hardly indicative that there isn't a problem is it...
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

"Of some 14,823 applicants who have used the equity loan arm of the scheme, 77% of these people lived outside London and the South East. This dispels the myth that the scheme is fuelling the London housing bubble because clearly other regions of the country are seeing the most benefit. "

It is fuelling the bubble everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      "Of some 14,823 applicants who have used the equity loan arm of the scheme, 77% of these people lived outside London and the South East. This dispels the myth that the scheme is fuelling the London housing bubble because clearly other regions of the country are seeing the most benefit. "

It is fuelling the bubble everywhere.
      Or deaccelerating the collapse. Perhaps that's why it's there. Take it away and you'd see continuing price falls across most of the country. Political suicide.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

thing is though doesn't one of the laws of economics tell us that the value of something is actually what someone else will pay for it?

so if salaries stay level then house prices cannot really go up because no one can afford them...

so they either come down or they get subsidised.

I have no idea.

Comment

I could sell my house in Glasgow for about 8-10% more than i paid for it 10 years ago. Useless.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            I could sell my house in Glasgow for about 8-10% more than i paid for it 10 years ago. Useless.
            So that would be like what??

A tenner??

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              So you bought at the top of the market and paid too much.

More fool you then.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                So that would be like what??

A tenner??

At best.

Oddly I can charge someone that stays there 200% more than I did 10 years ago.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

More fool you then.
                  It's my style.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

More fool you then.
                    Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it. I don't recall anyone warning us we were at the top of the market in 2004.

Comment

Working...
                    X