• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some people just can't get a break*

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people just can't get a break*

BBC Sport - Ali Carter: Snooker player diagnosed with lung cancer

Makes massive changes to his life to cope with Crohn's disease, comes back on great form.
    Diagnosed and treated for testicular cancer, comes back again and looked good in the world championships
    Now he has lung cancer
    Life just won't stop kicking him in the nuts**

*I only realised the pun after writing the title, honest.
    **OK, this one was deliberate
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

He is an unlucky bugger.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

poor form with the pun

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        He is an unlucky bugger.
        Yeah. He seems a nice guy on TV too.

And somehow I totally missed this one: BBC Sport - Elena Baltacha: Former British number one dies of liver cancer

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
          poor form with the pun

I have about 5 in response to that but I didn't post to make fun (puns just happened) so I shall refrain.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Yeah. He seems a nice guy on TV too.

And somehow I totally missed this one: BBC Sport - Elena Baltacha: Former British number one dies of liver cancer

Yes I saw that. I think younger people with cancer in the news do tend to jump out at me a bit now.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I have about 5 in response to that but I didn't post to make fun (puns just happened) so I shall refrain.
              The captain's a good man - seen him at Sheffield a few times.

one day at a time

Comment

Yes I saw that. I think younger people with cancer in the news do tend to jump out at me a bit now.
                Me too actually - partly due to yourself and partly because I have a friend in her 20s who had Hodgkin's Lymphoma (luckily it responded excellently to treatment even though detected at a fairly advanced stage).

It feels like it's on the rise, everyone seems to know someone with cancer, but I imagine that's not really the case.

Comment

It feels like it's on the rise, everyone seems to know someone with cancer, but I imagine that's not really the case.
                  Well about 1 in 3 people get some form of cancer at some point in their lives so it's quite probable they do know someone who has or has had it. Not everyone talks about it as much as me, especially those who've had it and beaten it. I know a few people like that who never mentioned it until they found out about my condition. I guess they either don't like to talk about it or prefer to move on and take maximum advantage being alive rather than letting it define them.

Comment

Well about 1 in 3 people get some form of cancer at some point in their lives so it's quite probable they do know someone who has or has had it. Not everyone talks about it as much as me, especially those who've had it and beaten it. I know a few people like that who never mentioned it until they found out about my condition. I guess they either don't like to talk about it or prefer to move on and take maximum advantage being alive rather than letting it define them.
                    A lot more people beating it, or at least living longer with it, which obviously increases the chances of meeting someone who has or has had it. 20 years ago that would have been completely different.

I had the scare last year, but actually it turns out I have Crohn's disease instead. Which I suppose is good. My cousin had what Doodab has at 36.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X