• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What if ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if ...

The Daily Mail reviewing a BBC publication.

Playing what if's:
    ...Rome had not fallen?

Had Rome not fallen in 476 AD, it might have fought off Islam – whereas Byzantium, the empire’s eastern rump, failed.

Roman legions would also have handled the invading Mongols better than their medieval successors.

In the Americas, they surely would not have warred with native peoples, but assimilated them in the Roman way.

In Europe, united in the solemn calm of empire, there would have been no feudalism, no chivalry, no parliaments and no England. What is modern Britain would have become a proper province of Rome, whose first emperor was Augustus Caesar.

Scotland and Ireland too would have been conquered. Britain would also have been spared the Saxons – who knew nothing of plumbing and cities, and whose influx resulted in a dramatic drop in quality of life.

Today people would be living longer, and society would be far more advanced. There would not have been a 1,000-year gap between the fall of Rome and the Renaissance.
    Sounds good to me.
    Blair, you cannot reach me now,
    No matter how you try,
    Goodbye cruel Labour,
    Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Originally posted by CaribbeanPirate
    The Daily Mail reviewing a BBC publication.

Playing what if's:

Sounds good to me.
    Not to mention that AS Roma would have more money than Chelsea and Real Madrid combined.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Byzantium... or rather, Constantinople, as it became, was first sacked by christian crusaders... the Eastern Roman Empire had outlasted the Western Roman Empire for centuries. Gradually its power declined, and it was overrun by the ottomans, who became known in modern times as simply the 'turks'. We are talking about the 15th century, not the 5th....
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

The same good things would have happened if we'd let the Nazis invade.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
        X