• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many times will Charles mention this over the next few weeks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many times will Charles mention this over the next few weeks?

Just a little conversation over dinner, mummy.

BBC News - King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicating
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Doesn't it defeat the point of a monarch if they abdicate?

It was hard for the UK to recover after Edward VIII

If she did a Beatrice of the Netherlands and passed onto Charles would may it hard to see any point in perpetuating the monarchy
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Doesn't it defeat the point of a monarch if they abdicate? ...
      Well I suppose Charlie could take over the reins (or reigns?!) as Prince Regent if the Queen ever simply becomes too frail to continue the job.

But if the late Queen Mother was anything to go by, that may not be for years yet. Walking up and down those long palace corridors seems to keep the Royals hale and hearty to an amazing old age.
      Last edited by OwlHoot; 2 June 2014, 16:30.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Well I suppose Charlie could take over the reins (or reigns?!) as Prince Regent if the Queen ever simply becomes to frail to continue the job.

But if the late Queen Mother was anything to go by, that may not be for years yet. Walking up and down those long palace corridors seems to keep the Royals hale and hearty to an amazing old age.
        When I think of the Prince Regent, I always think of this

Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

There's a point to a monarch?

But yes. Surely the monarch is something you just are, not something you can choose to be. I can't phone up my younger brother and say "I've decided not to be the eldest any more. It's your turn".

It was hard for the UK to recover after Edward VIII
          In what way? Can't imagine it affected the lives of the ordinary people in the slightest.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            In what way? Can't imagine it affected the lives of the ordinary people in the slightest.
            Well, we did start a world war just afterwards. But not much other than that I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Well, we did start a world war just afterwards. But not much other than that I suppose.
              The abdication of the king was the reason for the Second World War? I think I need to relearn some history. Clearly I've been misled.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Madge is hanging on until she dies. The point is, as she has said several times, she took a vow to do exactly that at her Coronation and she is damned sure she is going to honour it. if she can't continue, then Charlie will turn Regent and take over her duties, but he won't be king until she is no more.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Not if that country's monarchy has a precedent.

If they choose their successor it starts to get wobbly though.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    The abdication of the king was the reason for the Second World War? I think I need to relearn some history. Clearly I've been misled.
                    If your king is hob-nobbing with your traditional world-war rivals, it's bound to stir it up. He probably told them on the QT that he didn't like Poles or Czechs, and one thing led to another.

Comment

Working...
                    X