• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT remittance advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT remittance advice

Had a cheque turn up this weekend as a "VAT remittance advice", matching an exact amount I paid to HMRC in April for vat. Because of a change in accountant my new ones can't tell me why this is other than possibly I paid the amount twice (which i don't think i have done as it is a very specific amount).

Any idea why I would receive one of these? I don't want to bank it if I am likely having to pay it out again!!!

You must surely know if you've paid a VAT bill twice? What do your books show?

If you're still not sure, ring the VAT office and asked them why they've sent you a cheque.

Make sure you sort this out or you could end up with headaches. Long story short, I once double paid a VAT bill and was told by HMRC to deduct the overpayment from my next VAT bill, which I did. Then, unbeknownst to me they issued a refund cheque anyway but sent it to my old address (which I thought I had updated), meaning I ended up underpaying my next bill and ended up with HMRC sending the debt collectors in (it all got resolved in the end though).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

If you're still not sure, ring the VAT office and asked them why they've sent you a cheque.

Make sure you sort this out or you could end up with headaches. Long story short, I once double paid a VAT bill and was told by HMRC to deduct the overpayment from my next VAT bill, which I did. Then, unbeknownst to me they issued a refund cheque anyway but sent it to my old address (which I thought I had updated), meaning I ended up underpaying my next bill and ended up with HMRC sending the debt collectors in (it all got resolved in the end though).
      I'm going through previous statements now to see if I have paid it twice! I don't think I have so I don't know why they have done this - gonna give them a buzz like you say. I want to avoid a situation like the one you had to endure!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

+1

Sometimes thinking and doing a bit of work instead of asking strangers is a better option.....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          +1

Sometimes thinking and doing a bit of work instead of asking strangers is a better option.....
          Stuck in transit hence unable to make a call - just asking for any experience of what this can be before I do my digging. Turns out it was a double payment, i did a BP and they did a DD at the same time and I missed it.
          Last edited by blueislander; 2 June 2014, 11:21.

Comment

Working...
          X