• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Fail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Fail

'Give up dairy to beat cancer': Leading scientist given just months to live changes her diet and is still alive nearly 20 years later | Mail Online

'Peter and I brainstormed the subject for just a few minutes and decided that it must be diet related. We then remembered two incidents.
    Wow a few minutes!

The revelation inspired her to switch to a dairy-free, Asian-style diet.
    'I decided I had nothing to lose by giving up the two low fat organic yoghurts I was eating a day each day,' she added.
    She also cut out most animal protein such as meat, fish and eggs and banished all milk products.
    Within six weeks - during which time she was undergoing more conventional treatment, including chemotherapy - the lump on her neck disappeared.
    Science by revelation!, Ah but it wasn't the well researched conventional treatment it was cutting out the yoghurt.

A professor as well!

By her reckoning I should be dead just from what I've eaten today

There are proven dietary risk factors for some kinds of cancer, so there might be something in it I suppose but it needs proper science doing on it.
    Last edited by doodab; 2 June 2014, 13:41.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The egg heads seem to think so

Vegetarian Diets and the Incidence of Cancer in a Low-risk Population

In this cohort, a clear association between vegetarianism (as a single category) and all cancers was found. This association was clearest in the vegan diet, where there was a mild protection for overall cancer risk. When dividing cancers to anatomic site or gender-specific groupings, some statistically significant associations were also found. Specifically vegetarians had less gastro-intestinal cancer (HR, 0.76), especially among lacto-ovo vegetarians (HR, 0.75). In addition, vegan women experienced fewer female-specific cancers (HR, = 0.66). It is also noteworthy that, although often not statistically significant, the great majority of HR point estimates for effects of vegetarian status or its subtypes are less than 1.0. Exceptions are only male semi-vegetarians (Table 3), lacto and semi-vegetarians in female-specific cancers and urinary tract cancers (Table 4). When adding BMI into the multivariate models, most of the statistically relative risks remain significant but move slightly toward the null, suggesting that BMI may be one mediator of the dietary effects.
      Seems likely that the less meat & products of meat we eat the less disease that we share with animals we get. Though looking at my feet I probably have early onset of potato blight or it could be I need new socks.

One other benefit apparently 'lacto-ovo-vegetarians' become bright enough for SAS to talk to them without using the C word.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

More veg means more fibre which should mean faster transit times and less time that toxins stay in the body.

It is a theory though.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          The egg heads seem to think so

Vegetarian Diets and the Incidence of Cancer in a Low-risk Population

Seems likely that the less meat & products of meat we eat the less disease that we share with animals we get. Though looking at my feet I probably have early onset of potato blight or it could be I need new socks.

One other benefit apparently 'lacto-ovo-vegetarians' become bright enough for SAS to talk to them without using the C word.
          There is evidence that high consumption of preserved meats such as hams, sausages, jerky etc raise the risk of some cancers, also that high consumption of red meat raises the risk of bowel cancer.

She has some stuff in there like coffee where quite a lot of studies have been done and there is no evidence against it though. So def needs taking with a pinch of salt.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            There is evidence that high consumption of preserved meats such as hams, sausages, jerky etc raise the risk of some cancers, also that high consumption of red meat raises the risk of bowel cancer.

She has some stuff in there like coffee where quite a lot of studies have been done and there is no evidence against it though. So def needs taking with a pinch of salt.
            I have heard that about preserved meat is an enhanced risk I suppose covering it in salt or burning it is a bad idea.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X